Leave SIM card in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdmac, Jun 21, 2009.

1. sdmac macrumors member

Purchased a 3GS and activated it with the 3GS sim card. Selling my edge iPhone on eBay. I've wiped it clean with a factory restore. Any danger with me leaving the sim card in? Does it hold any private data?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes and Maybe.

There is no need to include your deactivated SIM, no carrier will enable it and it may contain contact data, images or other data from a previous non-iPhone device.

Dave

3. sdmac thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. I also upgraded my wife's line to a 3GS. I was going to give her phone to my sister to add as a second line on her AT&T account. Are you saying AT&T won't enable the SIM card if I leave it in there.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Correct, GSM Carriers only allow one activation of a SIM. So if you upgraded your wife's line using the new SIM that came with the iPhone 3G S, then the SIM in her phone is now deactivated and AT&T will not activate it again.

Your sister can just use her exiting SIM if she has one or she can pick one up from any AT&T Corp retail store to use to activate the new add-a-line. Since she is adding a line there should be "No Charge" for the new SIM to activate your wife's handoff phone.

Note: Some Authorized agents will charge up to $25 for a new SIM, don't pay for it.

Dave