Leave this conversation feature

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by asu1996, Aug 11, 2014.

1. asu1996 macrumors member

Forgive me if this has already been covered somewhere else, but I did search the forums and spent some time looking for a thread and couldn't find one.

When I hit leave this conversation in a group message, it tells me I have left the conversation and has a time stamp but as soon as someone in that group sends another message, it comes over to me in that thread. Is the feature just not working in the beta's or is there a reason why this is happening to me?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Is it possible that with others in the group on iOS 7 it doesn't know that you've left and therefore any future messages get sent to you anyway?

I wonder how they'll fix that, especially seeing as there are still people on iOS 5 (I believe group messaging was available in 5).

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

what does Do Not Disturb do? Check the details of the conversation. I think it just stops notifying you.

4. asu1996 thread starter macrumors member

I have used the "Do not disturb" and it does mute any notifications so that seems to be working fine but when I hit leave the conversation, it is definitely not making me leave the conversation. I wonder if everyone has to be on ios 8 for this to work properly like the user above mentioned. That is interesting.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes everyone in the conversation must be on iOS 8.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It seems like everyone has to be on iOS 8. Otherwise they would have made the feature available for group text messages too.

7. asu1996 thread starter macrumors member

8. TheColtr macrumors 6502

Apple really needs to make it no rely on other phones, I have friends without iPhones that put me in group messages and I can't leave them. Very annoying

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

If it's not done through iMessage then how would Apple be really be able to do it? Unless there's a universal SMS/MMS protocol for something like that (that all carriers/manufacturers would comply with), and it seems like there isn't.

10. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I'm all for pointing blame, but.. This is a bit like blaming Apple for you receiving telemarketing calls on your iPhone. It's beyond their control.

11. TheColtr macrumors 6502

It should be simple, the phone already sees all the numbers in the group message, when it sees a message come through that was sent to those specific numbers, block it. It doesn't have to be some fancy protocol, the phone just needs to be actively looking for those specific phone numbers linked to the message being sent to you.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Dont think that's really leaving a group conversation. That's more like blocking it at best, and reasticalky using the do not disturb feature on a group conversation like that would pretty much accomplish the main aspect that would provide--not being disturbed by new messages.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Except it is not that easy when doing normal texts since those are not send using 'data'. Think of normal texts like fax or voicemail.