leaving airport extreme on overnight

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tongzilla, May 25, 2008.

1. tongzilla macrumors newbie

The thing feels really hot. They say it's capable of running 24/7, but it doesn't feel right. Is there anyway to turn it off without unplugging?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've had mine on nonstop since August 2006. Our house hasn't burned down yet. You can't turn it off without unplugging it.

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I've never turned mine off. It's been on since I've had it. Why would you want to turn it off?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They do get a bit warm but they are meant to be left on 24/7. Just make sure you don't place something on top of it.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

Powerstrip with button! :p

But yeah, I leave mine on 24/7 despite how hot it runs.

7. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Yep mine's been on non-stop since......a year ago? And it's sitting next to a linksys router, cable emta, and a hard disk! No overheating so far!

8. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Who turns off a router at night? They are meant to be on 24/7.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I run mine 24/7 too.

Never had a problem, and it isn't that hot really either.

10. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have three wireless routers, the most recently acquired of which is a Time Capsule. None of the three has ever been turned of and I have had no problems with any of them. The oldest, a Linksys WAP54 wireless access point has been continuously in service since 2003.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

add me to the list of those who run their airport extreme 24/7 with no problems. Don't turn it off.

12. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I have mine hooked up to a powerstrip with a printer and external drive. I turn mine off each night to save electricity. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to keep it going all the time.

My imac is hooked up similarly and I will turn off the powerstrip at night if I am not running some process.

All the electronics add up on electricity usage. Even when an electronic is "off" many things still pull power. For example the tv will constantly pull power to save channel settings.

13. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Hmm...i've heard the same thing about the "current draw" even when electronics are off, but find it hard to believe that extrapolated over long periods of time it can add up to much of anything, or does it? Anyone seen a study done on this?

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had an older router I ran on 24/7 for 5 years and it didn't have any problems.

And turn everything else off too?

If you don't know what wireless security is, your bandwidth is capped, and your neighbors steal your bandwidth at night. :D

15. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Taking a quick look estimates shows that electronics in this standby mode consumes 5% to 13% of the total consumption of electricity usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

Every little bit helps.