Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Nope.

All in One Gestures and Nova Launcher Prime's gesture swipes are too important to me. The way I use Android is much different than the typical Android or iOS user. I don't just swipe left or right to find apps. I swipe up anywhere in the homescreen for the screen to go off. I swipe from the right edges to go back. I double tap the status bar for silent mode. I use the Slide animation from Nova which adds a great effect. I carefully monitor my RAM and apps I use. I have App Backup & Restore in case I hate the new app update.

There is just as much restrictive frustrations I get from iOS as well. I find it boring and less intuitive. The OS for tech dummies. Maybe Steve Jobs was right and iPhone was ahead five years back in 2007. But after those five years were up (post-2012), Android caught up and surpassed it for me. If I did happen to go back to iOS, it would be for the 6s model. I think the s models are the best. More refinement with a similar design. And I would go for the larger model as I feel the 4.7 inch model Apple decided to make it the "inferior" version. I would sacrifice "one-handed" use for better optics, faster CPU, bigger battery, etc.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If the Galaxy Note line didn't exist, I would have been set on the iPhone 6 just cause I like to change things up and the 5.5 screen. But the Note 4 is going to be too much of a sweet device to pass up on and I always had envy for the Note 2 & 3. So it's the Note 4 for me.

I really want the Lumia 1520 over both the Note 4 and iPhone 6, but WP lacks too many apps. :(

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I will definitely check it out in person before I can decide but if I really think about it, I'm not sure I could go back to the limitations of iOS.

I'm really enjoying the freedom Android gives me and I really love the back button on the Note 3.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Maybe not specs-wise but Apple always makes nicer quality phones and the lower specs work fine because of their pairing with the software, the other day I was playing with an S5 and despite the crazy specs it still lagged and stuttered
Depends on the model, my note 3 has never suffered from lag.

I don't buy phones for the build quality but what it does. Rumours are Note 4 may have a metal back. If it does great but how it's built isn't main thing

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Nope.

All in One Gestures and Nova Launcher Prime's gesture swipes are too important to me. The way I use Android is much different than the typical Android or iOS user. I don't just swipe left or right to find apps. I swipe up anywhere in the homescreen for the screen to go off. I swipe from the right edges to go back. I double tap the status bar for silent mode. I use the Slide animation from Nova which adds a great effect. I carefully monitor my RAM and apps I use. I have App Backup & Restore in case I hate the new app update.

There is just as much restrictive frustrations I get from iOS as well. I find it boring and less intuitive. The OS for tech dummies. Maybe Steve Jobs was right and iPhone was ahead five years back in 2007. But after those five years were up (post-2012), Android caught up and surpassed it for me. If I did happen to go back to iOS, it would be for the 6s model. I think the s models are the best. More refinement with a similar design. And I would go for the larger model as I feel the 4.7 inch model Apple decided to make it the "inferior" version. I would sacrifice "one-handed" use for better optics, faster CPU, bigger battery, etc.

I often hear that iOS is the OS for tech dummies, but from my experience its typically the opposite. Most of my non-techie friends and family members smartphones are Android phones. And I know quite a few people who work in IT -- people who are most definitely techies -- who prefer iOS over Android. In fact, out of all the people I know who use Android, not even a single one uses a third-party launcher or keyboard.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
There is just as much restrictive frustrations I get from iOS as well. I find it boring and less intuitive. The OS for tech dummies. Maybe Steve Jobs was right and iPhone was ahead five years back in 2007. But after those five years were up (post-2012), Android caught up and surpassed it for me.
I think you have fallen into the trap here of generalising it for everybody. I know plenty of people in technical positions who use the iPhone so your statement is false on a number of levels. You don't have to fear tech to choose the iPhone and it is merely choice. Not everybody needs their smartphone to max itself out doing hundreds of tasks at once. I've always been into tech but I like a phone that needs little setting up and is reliable.

Suggesting something is for 'dummies' and has been surpassed because you feel it has, is a subjective opinion rather than fact. Most smartphones do pretty much the same thing but in different ways. These days is is almost impossible to suggest one flagship device is better than the other because its down to the opinion of the user and how it suits their needs.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Maybe not specs-wise but Apple always makes nicer quality phones and the lower specs work fine because of their pairing with the software, the other day I was playing with an S5 and despite the crazy specs it still lagged and stuttered

Common mistake here. You are comparing a phone with lesser specs and an optimized OS to a phone with greater specs and a memory sucking hog of an overlayed UI on top of an optimized OS.

Dump Touchwiz on the S5 and people that own one say it is insanely fast.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Common mistake here. You are comparing a phone with lesser specs and an optimized OS to a phone with greater specs and a memory sucking hog of an overlayed UI on top of an optimized OS.

Some even say with the latest updates TW is faster now.....
Checkout the Galaxy S5 thread here on MR.....
But generally I agree TW can be a resource hog.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19437857/

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I think I'll have to wait and see what is (or isn't) released by Apple/Google this fall first.

Right now I'm having enough trouble deciding between my Nexus 5 and iPhone 5s. :p

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Can't see apple bringing out anything worth while that's better than what the note series will bring.

The absence of TouchWiz.

That's all that's required in my book....

----------

And even so, the 5S was actually the FASTEST (even spec wise in benchmarks and such) smartphone when it was released.

Apple doesn't usually play the benchmark game - but its seems they are upping the ante. I'd expect the iPhone 6 (both versions) to absolutely SCREAM - even in benchmarks where they traditionally haven't beaten out Android flagships.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I'll see what the new crop of phones Iphone 6. Note 3, moto x+1, Nexus 6 are before making a decision this round. Ideally I'd lvoe something in the Nexus 5 form factor with a 3000mAhish battery.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
We may see a larger bezel on the bottom of the iPhone for the touch ID, but the top and sides may be quite a bit smaller. If NFC is added on the back, then there is little chance Touch ID will ever be on the back.

I doubt Apple would put the touch ID on the back or get rid of the Home Button. I'm just saying that would be my ideal iPhone. Top bezels are the bezels jammed into my gut. All bezels need to be reduced in my eyes.

Do you think NFC will be in the next iPhone? I haven't heard much about that recently.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I doubt Apple would put the touch ID on the back or get rid of the Home Button. I'm just saying that would be my ideal iPhone. Top bezels are the bezels jammed into my gut. All bezels need to be reduced in my eyes.

Do you think NFC will be in the next iPhone? I haven't heard much about that recently.
Rumors are pointing to the next iPhone having NFC, but I'm only about 50% confident they will do it. We shall see in a little over a month.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe. The bigger screen and SwiftKey alone make the iPhone 6 extremely attractive to me. If the camera is a big step up and they include AC wifi support, I'll be all in for sure.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Hells no.

Every time I see that cluttered, rigid home screen I'm put way off, no matter how nice the hardware gets.

The only iOS device in my life is my iPad, and even that things days are numbered.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
i'm in the same boat. not being able to attach anything other than picture on email? not being able to use the storage any way i want? list goes on. i just can't understand why ios is so restrictive. maybe this is why itunes store generate massive revenue compared to ther app stores.

anyways, i'm just able to do too much with android which are simply impossible on ios. so im not switching. if anything, i will upgrade my ip4s to ios 8. not too concerned about hardware, its the software that matters to me.

Nope.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
After watching The Verge's interview of Matias Duarte talk about the Material Design, I am more sure I will stick to Android for the foreseeable future. Too bad The Verge got worse with that Apple fanboy, David Pierce who probably never used Android as a daily driver for a minimum of 3 years. His only daily driver have been iPhones since 2007. His mentality is still stuck in 2010. Every month, I discover a new custom tweak or preferred settings to change things up a little with my Androids. The more I have been using MIUI, the more I like it and I realize it seems more practical than stock Android. The Security app is fantastic. Material Design seems to be headed to slide animations and cards overlap which I am accustomed to with Nova's Slide animation.

HTC & Xiaomi fan. I like the underdogs.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
No way, as IOS8 isn't bringing any major upgrades, the home screen is still an app drawer without widgets...
Just a bigger screen (with another row of icons) isn't enough by far to make me switch.
Just bought the LG 3, an awesome device for my taste.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If those leaked photos are true, you can say I'm not a fan of the iPhone 6 design at this point. HTC still has the better design in smartphones with the M7 & M8. I wasn't really a fan of the iPhone 5 either but it still looks much better than the leaked photos I've seen from the 6. Besides I prefer the "tock" years over the "tick." I prefer owning the more powerful "twin" if Apple keeps rehashing the design for every "s" year. The odd numbered years are more for the patient who cares more about internal hardware than exterior design. The 3Gs, 4s,and 5s were better twins than the 3G, 4, and 5. Better specs and performance is more future proof than wanting the fresh design. After a few months, design gets boring. Performance is what keeps us using them longer after we opened the box.

Looks fade. Performance lasts.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Because of a larger screen? I've had that for over two years. The iPhone 6, if it offers a larger screen, offers nothing new compared to what's out there. iOS8 is playing catch up to Android. Why would I go to the iPhone when Android already offers what it's going to have?

One thing Android doesn't have? Integration.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm not going to worry/think about it until I see what Apple is bringing to the table. Till then, my S5 is pretty awesome.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
One thing Android doesn't have? Integration.

It integrates great with my iPad and windows PC :)

I am angry that iOS continuity is Mac only

IOS really only integrates with apple products well, I find androids cross platform integration better

the lynchpin is really the phone, if I went iOS phone, I would lose notifications/texting from my pc

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
It integrates great with my iPad and windows PC :)

I am angry that iOS continuity is Mac only

IOS really only integrates with apple products well, I find androids cross platform integration better

the lynchpin is really the phone, if I went iOS phone, I would lose notifications/texting from my pc

Well, see I have a rMBP and an iPad 2 anyway. I might trade up my Nexus 4 for an iPhone 6 if the screen is bigger though, iOS 8 addresses all the problems I had with iOS but of course YMMV.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I'll need to see what the new iphone is like, regardless of what the options are, before I decide whether to jump or get another phone that uses Android.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.