Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
So my Note 3 contract is up in 1 week....can't wait to leave Android and get to iphone! I only got the Note 3 because 2 years ago there was no large iphone. So my question is- should I get the 6 Plus (good deals everywhere) or should I only go for the 6s Plus? Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Depends on what you want.

6+ has 1GB ram. 6s+ has 2GB ram. Do you need more ram? Use apps a lot, browse a lot? Then you probably want the 6s+.

Do you want/need Force Touch? If not, then the 6+ is fine because it does not have Force Touch. But if you do need/want it then the 6s+ is the only option (short of the 6s).

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
More ram is always nice....I do a lot of retail arbitrage so mainly lots of bar code scanning. Not many apps, some browsing, no games or anything. Im not sure what the Force Touch actually does- I will have to read about it. Latest is always best but there are so many great deals coming now on the 6+....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
More ram is always nice....I do a lot of retail arbitrage so mainly lots of bar code scanning. Not many apps, some browsing, no games or anything. Im not sure what the Force Touch actually does- I will have to read about it. Latest is always best but there are so many great deals coming now on the 6+....
Force Touch is basically a response by the OS to the amount of pressure you are applying to the screen.

For instance, on a 6+ if you want to send a message you have to open the Message app. With Force Touch if you press on the Messages app icon AND then push slightly harder on your screen you'll get a little menu that pops out where you can select to compose a new message. Press even harder and the app itself opens.

That's just one example. There are a bunch of other options that relate specifically to other apps. Apple calls it "Peek and Pop".

If it's not something you feel you'd use it can be turned off on the 6s and 6s+.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
3D Touch started out quite gimmicky but has become very useful now that most 3rd party apps are starting to support it.
2gb of ram future proofs your phone as well.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
3D Touch started out quite gimmicky but has become very useful now that most 3rd party apps are starting to support it.
Yeah, it wasn't surprising to see Apple ripping off jailbreak devs again. The only difference between Velox 2 and Force Touch is how it's triggered. Velox 2 didn't require new pressure sensitive hardware to implement. And therefore works on all older devices capable of running it. You want Force Touch stock you have to buy a new 6s or 6s+.

http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.phillipt.velox/

velox2-3.jpg

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Get the iPhone 6S Plus. The extra RAM helps with the performance. Speaking from my personal experience owning both.

Plus the extra features on the new model like 3D touch and improved cameras are fun to use.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
When it comes to any smartphones, or any computer equipment, I always recommend that people go with the best that they can afford. You will rarely regret it. So I would recommend going with the 6S plus.

Reactions: rugmankc

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, it wasn't surprising to see Apple ripping off jailbreak devs again. The only difference between Velox 2 and Force Touch is how it's triggered. Velox 2 didn't require new pressure sensitive hardware to implement. And therefore works on all older devices capable of running it. You want Force Touch stock you have to buy a new 6s or 6s+.

http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.phillipt.velox/

velox2-3.jpg

People will bitch about everything.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Not sure about the 3D touch debate but in terms of speed, the 6S is noticeably faster.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What you posted is not the same as 3D Touch, not even close.
The concept is the same. The methodology is different.

Slide down on an app using Velox and you get a choice of options that the app will allow. Press harder on an app (with a Force Touch enabled device) and you get a choice of options that the app will allow.

Sure, Force Touch gives you feedback, but I hate haptic and vibrations so I have that turned off completely.

But unless you can tell me Force Touch lets you do something else then it's the same as Velox/Velox 2 - it just uses a different trigger.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014

Slide down on an app using Velox and you get a choice of options that the app will allow. Press harder on an app (with a Force Touch enabled device) and you get a choice of options that the app will allow.

Sure, Force Touch gives you feedback, but I hate haptic and vibrations so I have that turned off completely.

But unless you can tell me Force Touch lets you do something else then it's the same as Velox/Velox 2 - it just uses a different trigger.

I use it more for peak and pop rather than stuff on the homescreen.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
6s+ is a no brainer. Don't know current cost of a 6+ and 6s+.

You could, if cheap enough, get a 6+ and then get the 7 in Sept. Might be able to sell 6+ close to what you paid for it. Or have a backup iPhone.

My 6+ was good. But, the 6s+ runs much better for me and IMHO :)

If you have to get a 2 year contract for a low price on a 6+, I would wait on the 7. The Note is a good phone. Always liked them. The whole family is going Apple as my one son and his wife have been Apple owners forever. And, I now have a rMBP 13 inch 2015. So, the EcoSystem advantage made sense to me.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So my Note 3 contract is up in 1 week....can't wait to leave Android and get to iphone! I only got the Note 3 because 2 years ago there was no large iphone. So my question is- should I get the 6 Plus (good deals everywhere) or should I only go for the 6s Plus? Thanks!

6S+ without a doubt.
I previously owned the 6+ and moved to a 6S+ for just the extra RAM. More than worth it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Can you move between open apps using what you're talking about? How about using it to move the cursor using the keyboard? Those are my two major uses, to be honest.

Dreads

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2015
Run your plan as sim only until iPhone 7 comes out then you can get a full upgrade rather than what will be a year old s model....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.