leaving apps running

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikeee, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mikeee macrumors regular

if you leave the apps under the multitask bar and when the phone goes idle in lock screen, would that increase the battery usage as compared to having no apps running in the background while idle? :confused:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It would appreciably decrease if the apps run in the background and slightly decrease if the apps don't.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

If an app running but in the background decreases power, then why did Apple do it this way? Seems odd that the only way to prevent an app from running in the background is to open up the multitasking screen and manually delete them, considering any app you open automatically will go there. Just because I open an app doesn't mean I want it to multitask.

4. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

Some apps, mainly music and gps, run in the background and use power. Especially the gps. Most apps just save their state in memory and don't use power. Sometimes I have 40 or 50 apps in the multitask bar. If I am not using the gps or music apps I close them. The others I leave alone.:apple:
    If you have a problem and think memory usage is the issue, download and use a memory freeing app. Usually the ios cleans up pretty well on it's own, but podcast downloading directly to phone is one area memory freeing seems to help.:)

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have to ask what the deal with the user name is. :)

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Does Apple explain this anywhere for the iPhone? I don't remember reading it. I would bet many iPhone owners don't know those apps are sucking power from their phones.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They explained it at the WWDC, IIRC. The manual also refers to certain apps being backgrounded, which implies they’ll be running.

8. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

so music and any app that requires location service, like google maps??

9. Resist macrumors 68030

When I purchased my iPhone 4 at the Apple store, they never said anything about having to shut down apps that are running in the background, which could cause a battery drain. I would think this is a big deal. I use many of my apps throughout the day and haven't thought about shutting them off. Seems like a pain in the rear to constantly have to monitor what apps you have running in the background and to easy for people to forget to do this.