Leaving for college Monday

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Aug 16, 2008.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am heading to my freshman year for college on Monday and I am extremely nervous. I am going to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University studying Aeronautical Science and try to get my pilots license. Guess my biggest worry is that it is just a change from my current lifestyle. That is so hypocritical of me as I think we(humanity) would be better off if we could accept change easier, etc and I always want to accept it. Overall, I am excited that I am going. It is the top aviation school in the nation and it was the only college I applied to( I was working on my backup schools application, but I already got the acceptance letter from Embry Riddle when I was finishing it up). I have been extremely lucky in my life and so far besides a few bumps in it my luck has continued to help me through life. Still I can't help, but feel nervous. But, I guess that is natural.....

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats and good luck!
    Sounds like you have an exciting adventure ahead of you!

What do you want to do with your pilot's license?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

awesome! i got accepted into embry down in prescott back in '03 but had to turn it down since it was 40k/year even though they gave me a 10k/year scholarship

i was gonna do pilots scholl and aeronautical engineering at same time.

however, i went to colorado state and did mechanical engineering.

college is great! you will love it. what campus, daytona or prescott?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sidebar: beautiful place... I should have taken the position that was offered to me in Ft. Collins in '97, but didn't :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i love it here. ive lived in fort collins since 2000 and went to hs a mile away from college. i would live here forever if i could lol

6. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Depending on where the industry is at the time of graduation. Commercial, freight, corporate is what I am looking into to. They also have a 5 year program. Where they will pay for my masters degree and get my hours I need to fly. Plus, get me a job with Jetblue.

I got a $5500/yr scholarship and I am going to the Daytona Campus. :cool:

7. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

that sounds like quite a lot of fun actually. it sure beats going to a regular old boring college (well, at least the learning part of it). enjoy it, the college years can be some of the best of your life!

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It will be extremely interesting to see where the industry, fuel and JetBlue are in 5 years... so many variables to the volatile airline industry

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do well in school and you will get a ton more scholarships, esp after freshman year

and yes college is great. i already miss it dearly.....except for the hw and tests of course lol

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Congrats on going to your first choice!

If you weren't a little nervous, you wouldn't be human, but just throw yourself into the freshman activities, no matter how cheesy (and they will be cheesy), be open to new people, and don't have so much fun that you forget to get good grades (been there too), and you'll be fine.

I was an Assistant Dean of Student Life, and those who adjusted the best were those who just threw themselves into activities for a while, trusting that they could then find their niche. If you're kind of shy, accept invites, and if you're the outgoing type, invite your shy roomie or neighbor to go with you. It will pay off, even if you don't end up being the best of buddies.

Good luck. :)

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Good luck, and have fun! College will be the best time of your life. If it's not, you're not doing it right. ;)

Hopefully this industry will sort itself out by the time you're ready to plunge in. If I can give you some advice - don't be in a hurry. Enjoy every step. I see a lot of pilots do everything they can to climb into a shiny jet as fast as they possibly can, but forget the smell the roses along the way. Don't do this. Enjoy the journey upwards - it's awesome. It's not an easy business to be in, but if you truly love it and can deal with the ups and downs, it's a pretty cool job.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You've the smartest guy I know for ducking this industry! ;) ;)

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

College is awesome...though it doesn't sound like you'll have quite the stereotypical college experience :p

I'm studying abroad in France this fall, I leave right after labor day and I'm back at Christmas...should be awesome. I'm going with a bunch of close friends and have friends studying at schools all over Europe which only makes it better.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

congrats

from what i have always heard, a great school

15. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Thats really awesome, I'm sure you will adapt well and have a great time. I have a family member who goes to the same school, and he loves it a whole lot. No complaints from him at all :)

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Congrats on your newfound adventure and college!

You and I are in basically an identical position...I've got one more year left, and I'm really excited and anxious to be starting a new life, gaining more responsibility, and starting college. At the same time, though, it's a really scary idea having all that responsibility, and such a huge change...I've been having some anxiety problems lately over it, but for the most part, I'm just waiting and letting it hit me :) Good luck to you, though, man...I hope college goes well for you!

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Once you're gone, I'm gonna trash-talk GM all across the forumses. ;)

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I think everyone agrees (I certainly do) that University is one of the best times of your life. I am 100% certain that you will have a brilliant time there!

Being nervous is completely normal, when I first went to university I was pretty nervous and then when I got there I was pretty homesick for a while too. It didn't last too long though! Once you get out and start meeting some similar people you will have a blast. Everyone else is in the same boat as you and there will be a lot of people you have things in common with, especially if everyone at your uni studies aeronautical stuff :) My best friends are all people I met at university and we had some brilliant times there too. I wish I was back there now lol (except for the crippling money issues).

Anyway, have a blast!

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Awesome :D
    College years were the best of my life so far, and I've got 22 of them to base them on! Though I think the first year was also quite a big one. I wasn't too keen on university, I was only on a small course and my girlfriend went to a different place so they weren't exactly awesome years for me.

Have fun there.

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I hope somebody else is paying your way. There's a saying in flying about being "Riddled with debt."

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I wasn't going to bring the money issue up, but (directed at quagmire):

If you're going to be shouldering a good portion of the debt for this, may I suggest that you do your actual flight training somewhere else. Get the degree(s) from Riddle, the contacts, etc...but find a good Part 61 school for your certificates. You'll save quite a bit of money that way.

22. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Haha good luck man, that school sounds awesome.

I'm also leaving for college this week (as a freshman) and I'm going to the University of San Francisco as an Environmental Science major. I'm nervous a bit but I'm sure I'll find my own group. There's also a 4 day orientation full of those cheesy events, Ntombi. ;) I wish I could just skip all that and get straight to the new lifestyle. :D

23. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

While I will be paying for some of it( yay already in debt as soon as I graduate! :cool::p ), my parents are footing most of the bill.

24. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I am looking at ERAU too for Aerospace Engineering and if I get enough scholarships a minor in Aeronautical Science. At the moment I can't decide whether to go military or civilian though.. USAFA is another great choice for Aerospace Engineering... :rolleyes:

From what I saw/heard/read about ERAU is great! Good luck and let us know how your freshman year goes!

25. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Well I leave in an hour. I hope I will survive this move, literally. Tropical Storm Fay will be in the area when I get down there........