Leaving home for a while - want to leave daily msgs.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by safetyobc, Dec 20, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I am about to leave for 6 months (leave in February). I have a wife and 3 kids. I want to leave behind a message for each day that I will be gone (Monday through Friday) for my wife and kids. I am not sure how I need to do this. I have video, audio, photos, and text that I will need to leave in a message of some type. Currently I have it on an iWork document. Video, audio, etc. But I would like to move it (or redo it) onto something that would be a bit more organized so that they can access it each day, individually.

Basically, I'll be gone 22 weeks, M-F. Sounds corny I know, but it hopefully will help the kids and her with me being gone so much.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I think that's a great idea, actually. That must have taken a lot of work to put that together.
    What if you put it on a web site? If you know any sort of dynamic web programming like PHP and MySQL you could put all of the content into a database, assign each group a date and then whenever your family accessed the website only the content assigned to that day would show up. If you want something simpler just create a plain HTML page in iWeb for each day that you are gone and put the content onto its corresponding pages. Then maybe have links on the home page for each day that you are gone and instruct your family to click the link for the day they are on.
    That's the best I can think of. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea. Either way, good luck!

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Maybe you could leave it as an iWork file then make an Automator action to run everyday at a certain time and email them the day's designated file. If you wanted to ensure only one message was seen a day, you could just hide the folder that the iWork files are residing in by adding a period before the folder name.

You can have the Automator action repeat itself on weekdays by adding it as an action in iCal, then tell it to repeat on weekdays.