Leaving iPad on all day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedwolfe, Jul 31, 2014.

1. thedwolfe macrumors member

thedwolfe

https://manything.com/I was looking at an app called "Manyting that allows you to monitor thru your iPad/iPhone.

Any consequences to leaving your device on all day?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Dead battery. ;)

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I leave all my Macs on all day. Most are laptops with the lid closed, but two are desktops. All plugged in. They just sleep.

I never turn my phone off. It's plugged in at night though. On occasion I restart it.

My iPhone is my only phone and my wife's iPhone is her only phone. We do not have a landline at home. So, just like a landline our phones are always on. You don't want to miss an urgent or emergency call at 3am because you turned your phone off.

Anyway, I have never had any issues whatsoever. Did this with our phones before the iPhone and the phones before that. My own iPhone has been on since November of 2012 when Apple replaced the previous one. I still have 89% of my original battery capacity which I think is pretty good.

4. cynics macrumors G4

I've never turned off any of my Apple devices since I bought them aside from my AppleTV. It's no problem.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Never turn any of my Apple devices off unless a restart is required for upgrades. Otherwise they are always left on. Have never had an issue so far.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There's a difference between a device being awake with an app running all day and an iDevice that is turned on but sleeping. With that said, there is no harm in what the OP wants to do.

7. thedwolfe thread starter macrumors member

thedwolfe

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

That app looks very similar to one i already use called Presence. That is also a sort of security\monitoring camera app. I used it on my old 3GS plugged in and set up in the kitchen once when we went on holiday so the app was running with the phone on and active for about 9 days without an issue and then i've also used it on my iPad for keeping an eye on our dog when it was younger to make sure he was ok whilst i was at work.

Other than having to ensure the device was plugged in with a charger to stop the battery running out i've had no issues with either device. Might get a bit warm but thats it. Not sure if this app has it but Presence has an option to disable the screen on the device thats acting as the camera as you dont really need it on plus it stops it giving out a glare when its dark.

9. Pikachuguy macrumors newbie

Pikachuguy

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I use my iPad sometimes for Presence Pro which is similar to Manything. I have a stereo that has a charging dock for the iPad that handily is the right angle and position to use it to keep an eye on the dog if i need to. I've used the app for years now on both the iPad and my old 3GS as a camera and never been an issue.

Only thing you need to sort is make sure they have power to stay on all the time.

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

FWIW Apple Stores keep their devices running 24/7 for months on end without issue.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Pretty sure that three years ago when this thread started they may have been interested in your comment.

But it's been three years, so they probably moved on.