Leaving iPhone 5S in car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AceC, May 7, 2014.

1. AceC macrumors member

I have to leave my phone in my car tomorrow, with temps in the mid to high 70s, but of course a car's interior is warmer in the sun. I don't want my iPhone to get too hot, so what would you recommend?

I was thinking of putting it in an insulated lunch box in the trunk, would that be sufficient?

Is the heat a serious concern anyway?

Thanks.

2. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

How long are you leaving it for? Lunch box will buy it a few hours . Reason interior heats up are the closed windows, so the trunk should be cooler

Heat is a serious issue. Why not leave your phone at home?

3. ET iPhone Home, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

beware of cooling the phone down too much in a cooler when in humid conditions. If so keep it in a ziplock for a while after removing from the cooler to warm up.

I had a friend who put his iPhone in a zip lock and in a dry area in his cooler with an ice pack. When he returned later in the day and removed the phone from the cooler and ziplock, the phone iquickly started to sweat so bad it triggered his moisture sensors.

I would turn the phone off and leave the windows cracked.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Turn the phone off and put it in the trunk or glovebox. As long as it's out of direct sunlight, you'll be fine.

6. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

The phone has a sensor and will shut itself down in extreme cold and hot temps.

7. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

This has to be a troll.

70's?

What do you think happened to your phone when it came from China? Do you think it could have been in a vehicle or area hotter than 70f? UPS truck?

Man, you people need to get out more and stop worrying about a darn phone. It's not healthy.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

you act like you're leaving a child in the car. jeez people.

9. c0LdFire macrumors regular

Seriously, I could maybe understand this question if it was 120+ in the middle of the desert, but even then the phone would just shut itself off. Throw the damn thing in your glovebox and come back out to it the next day and it'll be fine. It's a phone. Don't have an aneurysm over it.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Tuck it away snuggly in the gbox or boot and it will be fine. If in the boot put it in a bag of some sort!

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

crack a window open for it and leave a charger near by in case it gets thirsty.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Lots of iPhone's survive in Arizona where it does not get to be 70F even at night for 3 months straight.... So, just turn it off, keep it out of sight. It should be fine.

13. AceC thread starter macrumors member

I went with that, as planned. It is seemingly alright; it was only in there max 4.5 hours. Assuming damage was even a remote possibility, you would certainly realize it quickly if it was damaged at all?

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Maybe slightly reduced battery life? I seriously doubt any damage was done.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

16. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

left my iphone 5 and iphone 5s in the glove box in my car at around 104 degree. and they work perfectly fine.

17. cynics macrumors G3

Dewpoint (humidity condensing) is met from the opposite direction.

For example taking a glass of ice water (cold) out side in the hot humid summer heat causes condensation to form on the outside of the glass. Bringing a cup of coffee (hot) into the cool AC does not meet that dew point.

I move around a lot of camera equipment. Keeping it in their respective bags when going from inside in the A/C to outside into the heat is a requirement. The other way around doesn't matter.

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I agree. I really don't think temperatures at even 100 degrees will affect the phone as long as it's in the shade.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd be more concerned about someone smashing the window and stealing it than getting damaged from the heat.

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

21. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I once left the flashlight on by accident, that sucker got soo hot I thought its done. Still worked normal after.

22. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I thought you actually meant a boot like one that you wear lol. Then I realized that you meant.

23. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

lol
    :d

24. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Yeah. I left a penny in my car for a whole week. I used it to buy some gum and low and behold, they took it! Although the clerk did look at it strangely, she eventually accepted it as legal tender. I was worried there for a minute.

25. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I use an old iPhone 3G as a music player hooked up to my car stereo. It sits in my car all the time. I live in Utah and it gets really hot in the summer really cold in the winter. There have only been a few times in the winter where I had to bring it in during the night. Been doing this for years and it works just fine.

Now, I would treat my 5S better, but these are pretty rugged as far as temperature goes.