Leaving LTE on or off on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Corysxj88, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Corysxj88 macrumors newbie

So here is my burning question.... I have noticed that I don't get any messages with pics or videos attached to them unless I have my data on... My wife has even said that she won't get certain texts until she turns her data on. I usually leave mine off to conserve battery and keep my data usage down. Does leaving mobile data on going to really use up my data when phone is not in use if I don't allow things to access it?
    I just hate not getting certain texts until I turn my mobile data on

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously if you disable cellular carrier data and away from wifi connection you will not get any iMessages, Videos , mms picture messages, emails or anything data related. Only regular texts and phone calls.

3. lrsone macrumors 6502

You can turn LTE off and use 3G if you're worried about battery life. As far as driving your data up I'm not sure. It depends on how many apps you got refreshing in the background.

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

You can also see which apps are using your data and toggle data off for specific apps that seem to be using it too often in the background if you're really concerned about it.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

LTE is actually easier on your battery than 3G.

OP, I leave my cellular data on all the time and my phone will last at least 16 hours. The 6 and 6+ both have better battery life than my 5s, so I'd think you would be ok.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Why do people turn features off? I'll never understand it. Must be a very weak signal. That's the only reason you would be saving battery life. The battery on my 6+ lasts two days at least....

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Exactly. With 4G, data related tasks are performed much quicker than over 3G. A photo upload or email attachment will download in a few seconds compared to 10x as long over 3G.

8. lrsone macrumors 6502

Sorry I must've been misinformed. Thought LTE caused more strain on battery life.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I don't see why it would make a difference. Apple claims the same battery time using 3G and LTE and I believe the 5 or 5S was even rated for longer battery time on LTE than 3G.

For me, I live in an area with 3/5 bars (dots :rolleyes:) and I notice no difference between 3G and LTE.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

4+ years ago, yes. But not now. It's no longer two or three separate chipsets. It's all integrated now. Virtually no battery imact unless you're in a fringe LTE area where the phone may bounce between 3G and LTE constantly.

As for data, I never turn it off. I see no need whatsoever unless I only had, say, 200MB per month or something incredibly small like that. I leave mine on 24/7 and rarely get anywhere close to hitting 2GB in a month, let alone even 1GB quite often (wifi everywhere near me). If I just left it to background data, I doubt I'd hit 500MB/month.

11. that be me macrumors 6502

Here's my question, which would use more battery: 1-2 bars on LTE or 5 bars on 3G? Assuming phone is in standby most of the time.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

@OP Check your settings. I turn mine off because I work in areas were there is no 3G/LTE and I'm working off of wifi. I find that sometimes the phone is fighting trying to connect, so I turn off the cellular because nothing is getting through. Make sure your iPhone is set to receive messages from your phone number and your apple id.

You can still get text because its a mobile phone. Again check to see if the SMS is turned on (located in Settings under Messages).

To save battery - turn off notifications.

13. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I'd say the 5 bars of 3G would be better. The weaker the connection, the more power the radio is consuming to maintain that connection.

14. Corysxj88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to try it for a week and see how it goes...
    I just worry about my data usage...but I guess if I go through and make sure nothing in refreshing all the time, I should be good.