Leaving Macbook on all day... Problems?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHavequestions, Dec 3, 2013.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

Just wondering if this causes a problem. Sometimes I leave it on and come home and it's silent while other times the fan is spinning and I'm guessing it's been spinning most of the day. I see that Chrome renderer is usually the culprit. I'm guessing this just causes wear and tear on the computer?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I leave my laptop on all day and all night for that matter, always have.

3. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Ever come home to a spinning fan? If so, is there a concern?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My work-issued early 2011 13" MBP runs from 7-4, with Chrome up all the time. Recently (since Mavericks), I've been running dual displays on it (the attached LCD and an external 19") and I've had no issues.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not in and of itself.

Heat generally isn't a good thing but whether it's a concern is your call. If you're bothered by it then shut down the app(s) responsible before leaving.

6. Appledreamer macrumors member

don't use chrome then use safari.......chrome wouldn't be my first choice and that is a perfect reason why..

:)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your fans are always spinning when your Mac is on, at a minimum of around 2000rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temperatures within the normal operating range. It's nothing to worry about. You're fine leaving your Mac running weeks or months at a time without shutting down.

8. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Just make sure too remove it from power at least once a month and let the battery drain to at least 10%. Keep the electrons moving.. My battery on my 2011 MBP died prematurely because I left it plugged in and on, most of the time and rarely used it on battery power. Thankfully they replaced the battery, but it's usually a consumable so you may have to pay for a new battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe. The fans run all the time, but at a fairly low speed and you should barely be able to hear them. Are you are saying you can hearing them spinning up fast and it can be heard clearly from a few feet away? If so, that is not normal for a machine sitting at idle.

If you here the fans running up high like that when the machine is not being used, there may be a process ramping CPU usage and causing the fans to speed up. If that happens look in Activity Monitor in the CPU tab and show all processes then se if something is using a high percentage of CPU resources.