Leaving Macbook Pro Unibody on 24/7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 7, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

I rarely shut down my PCs, is it okay to leave the Macbook Pro on 24/7? It's a notebook and heat might be a concern especially the fact that notebooks were never meant to run 24/7. Then again, my MBP never gets very hot.

BTW, where is the intake/exhaust vents located on the MBP unibody?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It'll be fine. Make sure your power settings will let it go to sleep after a period of inactivity, I think my MB is set to 30 minutes when it's plugged into AC.

4. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

I set the sleep to 2 hours and sometimes even 4 hours because I'm periodically using the computer on and off. For an example, I might be working on a document and watching TV at the same time. During commercial breaks, I might come back and quickly work on the document.

So, is it fine if it's on like a 2-hour/4-hour sleep interval?

Another thing I noticed was that with regular laptops (HP, dell)....they would be extremely hot after a few hours of use and their fans would be on full speed. The MBP is quiet and isn't even hot after many hours of use. It's extremely engineered well.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Absolutely. In fact, I turn my MB off about once a month, my iMac gets shut off about every 2 weeks.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Welcome to the world of Apple :)