Leaving MBP on all day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henz0, May 29, 2011.

1. henz0 macrumors newbie

Is it bad to leave the MBP with a SSD in it all day long? Like if I download a big file and leave it there all day?

2. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

No not at all.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I leave my MacBook Pro on and awake 99% of the time. I don't have an SSD but I need it on to get back to it using LogMeIn.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it. Use it as you need it.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

6. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Not a problem. Mine has been on all weekend. They are designed to be used this way.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Mine too - on all day, every day with an SSD.

8. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I was just about to make a thread asking the same question.

9. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I dont think there should be a problem. I have done that several times and the computer still works fine.

10. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I have had my MBP on for over 2 weeks straight without rebooting and it runs perfectly. I just put it to sleep when not using it.

Attached Files:

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Yup!
    Only time mine is off when I'm moving it ... and then it only goes to Sleep. I can't remember the last time I restarted, yet alone hit "shut down"

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

It's fine. I leave mine on all day and I constantly upload and download. It's a computer, use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Inside_line macrumors regular

While I agree it should be no problem, it is interesting to note that if you watch activity monitor the hard drive is written to periodically. With the finite life of SSD's, I do not leave mine on unless theres a specific reason. Going to bed... put it to sleep. Like to leave it on... leave it on.

14. henz0 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input guys, I use to hear things that its bad for the SSD if you leave it on 24/7 uploading and downloading. When I had my HDD in, it was on 24/7

15. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

Hi, excuse me for offtopic, but I have a question about strong loading MBP17 for 5 days. I working on 3D rendering animation on an iMac now, but I want to switch to MBP17 soon and I only worries about long-time-rendering, maybe even few days on 99% loading all the time. It is going to use CPU-100% (all cores) and all RAM (8GB) and hard drive for huge swap files.
    Do you think it's okay? I was reading topic about unexpected shutdownings when MBP has been loaded for a long time, I worrying about overheat problem.
    What do you guys think about it?
    :apple:

16. nonameowns macrumors regular

left it on all the time, sleep when not using. i restart for kick to adore the blazing booting speed. :cool:

17. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

i dont even remember the last time mine was off lol

18. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's worth a try I guess...that's what AppleCare is for. It may be worth doing a thermal grease upgrade/reapplication if you're going to be using it that much at 100%.

19. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

May I use AppleCare only when standard apple warranty will be expired?

20. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

When you register Apple Care you no longer have the standard Apple limited warranty.

Edit: Also try not to hijack other people's threads.

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    AppleCare is an extension of the one year warranty. It extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 years total. It extends the phone support from 90 days to 3 years total. AppleCare is also the name for Apple's support service. So when you call in during the first 90 days for telephone support or get hardware service in the first year you're contacting AppleCare, whether you've purchased AppleCare or not. It's all the same thing. The program called AppleCare just extends the warranty. It's a good deal, especially with an education discount.

I wouldn't advise messing with the thermal paste yourself. That seems like something that would definitely void the warranty. Just keep the computer on a flat, hard surface so it cools properly.

22. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

Thank you guys, I'll get AppleCare right after one year warranty. ;) now I only can afford MBP 17 :p

23. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You have to get it before the 1yr warranty expires. Once your original warranty is over, so is your shot at Applecare.