Leaving MBP on for weeks straight? Safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M. Malone, Nov 3, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

So lately I've been downloading lots of files when I leave the office, I leave my MBP running as it downloads what I need. I have left my MBP on for the last 7 days straight and I plan on leaving it on for even longer. Is this safe?

My friend "CoolGuy 2550" who's probably reading this, says it's dangerous for my laptop to be on that long as it can melt and explode :p

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I think that it shuldn't be a problem. Computers are designed to run all the time.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If not, I've been dangerous for more than a year. It would be a good idea to get a USB-powered fan to put underneath to keep it cool.

FYI, I have left mine on while encoding DVDs using HandBrake. That uses all of the processing power I have. Even that has been safe. I think you'll be fine leaving it on.

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea i wouldnt say it would be a problem. After all its a Pro machine so should be able to take some hard work :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's hysterical! You should ask your friend what he's been smoking! I've left my MBP on for months at a time, only rebooting for updates. It's not a problem at all.

6. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

It surely isn't the problem. I haven't put it to sleep or shut it down for 3 weeks now.

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Although a waste of electricity, I've heard it might even be better to leave computers on 24/7 so they aren't heat cycling w/ several starts & cool downs every day. Lots of people here also seem to leave there's on for months w/ the occasional restart.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol of course its safe. unless your overclocking it by massive margins (which you cant on macs, its pretty much impossible), then your prefectly fine. the hardware is built to take it all, day in day out. so yea, your fine.

9. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

10. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

My record is close to 3 months (almost all summer) without any restarting.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Yes yes i did. I added an extra 15% on for windows gaming, so what. I hardly ever game with my laptop these days. Its hardly like i am putting tremendous stress on the machine nor is it like i do it for days on end. The performance increases are hardly worth it anyway, especially with cpu overclocking in a laptop.

12. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone