Resolved Leaving Mini and external HD always on, dangerous?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Akarin, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Akarin, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

Hi all,

As a few days ago, I finally switched over to Mac and bought myself a Mac Mini (hell, I love this machine so far!). I was wondering if it was "safe" to leave it on and not turn it off for several days/weeks? Also, to make the best of Time Machine, I plugged a 1TB USB hard drive to it (usb powered, no external power supply) and plan to leave it turned on as well.

Do anyone see a reason not to do this? I used to leave my PC always on as well but the case is huge and it's loaded with multiple fans so I'm wondering if the Mini can support the same treatment.

Thank you for your time and answers!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is perfectly fine to leave Macs on for years without a restart or shut down.

3. Akarin thread starter macrumors 6502

Akarin

:) Nice thing to know (well, I would have guessed so as it is UNIX based) but my question was more related to the hardware. I wouldn't like it to overheat or something like that. I read somewhere that mini are, from a hardware point of view, more similar to a laptop than a desktop machine. Also the same question applies to my external HD.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I am running a mac mini for a server. It has been on 24/7 for the past year. Also has a 1.5tb external drive which has been on at the same time.
    No issues :)

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

This.

6. Akarin thread starter macrumors 6502

Akarin

Excellent... that's the answer I was looking for as it seems you didn't burn your house down nor had the external drive melt :p

7. penguy macrumors 6502

by on, do you mean active? as in never going to sleep? My mini's have been on since I purchased them...the first in 2005, the second in 2009. Neither is turned off, but both go to sleep when I do. I also run a 1TB FW800 drive for time machine...no problems

8. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I run a mini server and an external 1tb firewire hdd 24/7. Always active, never sleeping, no issues here.

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

My 2009 mini has been on pretty much 24/7 for going on three years now, and it has yet to show any negative effects :)

10. Fastcast macrumors newbie

A slightly different question but I believe it relates to this topic.

We have 2 new Mini's and both have external HD backup drives. Before being turned into Time Machines, they would go to sleep when you put the Mini to sleep but after turning them into TMs they no longer sleep when the Mini sleeps. Anyone know why that is?