Leaving my MBP on overnight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Jul 4, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I know that if you leave for an extended period of time, Apple suggests depleting the battery to 50% and then leaving the charger off, but what about overnight? I usually keep my MBP on the charger when I go to sleep, simply closing the lid so that the 100% battery symbol stays 100% in the morning.

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Run it down to zero every week or so but don't worry about leaving it on all night.

3. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

so leaving it on the charger overnight is fine?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I leave my MBP on 24/7 and almost never put it to sleep. However, I do use the battery about 3-4 cycles a day.

5. Lokrado macrumors regular

i always leave my MBP on sleep at night but i pull the charger off, then i do one cycle in the morning when i wake up

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't do any of this cycle BS. Just leave it on overnight. Don't cycle it every week, it's just something stupid and not necessary.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

agreed, dont bother cycling, my MBP is 4 years old and i just now decided to replace the battery as the battery time was starting to get below an hour and a half. Never cycled the battery or any of that other stuff, usually leave it on the charger 24/7

8. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Only time my MBP goes off is when I am switching over to Windoze in bootcamp. Otherwise, it's on 24/7. I do run the battery down to near 0 on occasion.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah leave it on the charger overnight. Mine MBP is on the charger whenever I'm not using it :D And the battery life is still fantasitc!

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It is a laptop. You are not its slave! The point of Apple products is that they just work.

Stop worrying about cycles and just enjoy your machine. Use it as you want, charge it when you need to.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol, battery cycles.

You have one of those MBPs with the sexy huge battery yes? Why are you even worrying? A full night's sleep probably only costs it 5% at most, if that.

Heck I sleep my sony laptop, and that tends to leave it with 85% the next time I get to it XD

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It's ok to leave it plugged overnight, I do it every day, so just use it and don't worry too much about battery cycles...

13. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Mine is usually always plugged into the charger, unless I decide to go sit in my living room or outside. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I shut it down (or even closed the lid). I let the screen go to sleep, but normally it is running over night (not sleeping) because I leave iChat on all night and sometimes export movies in iMovie, for example.

There's no problem leaving it on all night, doesn't even slow it down in my experience. I used to be concerned like you seem to be, but not anymore.

14. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

THIS!!

lmao I dunno why people get so frustrated with all these battery cycle ****.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

apple recommends fully depleting once every 30 cycles or so. this means letting it go past deep sleep. such a pain but at the cell level it helps over time.

in real life though who has time to do that? my MBP had 40days uptime last time i checked! just use the thing and dont worry about it, leave it on if you want, put it to sleep if you want, turn it off if you want. no harm done either way.

the battery will not get hurt if you leave it "charging" for a year.

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I tend to shut mine down everynight and sleep it when im not using it throughout the day. I hope im not damaging the HD everytime i start it back up from a cold start....

I wouldnt imagine you are doing your mac any harm by sleeping it all night.

17. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I unplug it from the charger if it's off, if it's sleeping i let it connected unless I'm out or on a place or something the "cycle crap" isn't crap, even apple suggest you to drain your battery once a month, leave it unplugged for 5 hours, and charge it to 100%

18. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Agreed. It's just a battery. In a few years, if you still have your computer, you replace it.

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Leaving it on charger is perfectly fine.

But if you want to use it on battery power, Apple recommends calibration once every month or two.