Leaving pc platform entirely or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lapino, Mar 9, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I recently got myself a Macbook Pro and loving it every minute I work on it. I also have a very high end pc on my desk at home and I'm very much in doubt whether I should sell it. Problem is, when I keep it, I know I'll be working more on it than on the Macbook, making buying the Macbook kinda obsolete. When I sell it, I'll have no other choice but to work on the MBP and get to learn it even better. I play quite a bit on the pc too, something that's obviously less of a nice experience on the MBP (the pc I have is very high end, especially gpu performance). But on the other hand... I do have a PS3 AND Xbox360 for games :)

Not a choice you guys can make for me of course, but I wonder about experiences from people who left the pc platform behind entirely and went for Mac all the way.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can always run Windows on your Mac if you need to
    I use for some things for work, but that is all

Booting Windows on a Mac

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you play games, go Boot Camp with a copy of Windows. If you use Windows for work/productivity apps then just use VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop.

4. yorkslad macrumors regular

Seriously I don't miss my PC at all, the opposite infact, when I use a PC now I get fustrated with the slowness and the crashing, I can't wait to get back to my mac. If you must use Windows bootcamp and parallels....enjoy!

5. Macmel macrumors 6502

Maybe you should use a PC that is not broken or learn how to use one.
    I'm really sick of these stupid arguments. Are you guys 12 or something?. Really, keep both and use them as you please. You'll probably find more reliability in your MBP but more versatility in your PC. I have both too and I love the posibility of using one or the other according to my needs.

6. Whiteman007 macrumors member

I did when I bought my ALU MBP 2 1/2 months ago. First time owner and pretty much never used a mac before other then 1 time in the apple store. I installed parallels and bootcamp but really use just for a game here and there. But like you I use a 360 for most of my gaming

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

So all we know right now is that you have a PC and a MacBook and that you like your Mac. You don't tell us what you're doing with those computers, you only tell us that you do NOT play games on them because you have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 for that purpose.

Now how are we supposed to give you an intelligent opinion without knowing what you actually do with your computers?

Once you've used both platforms long enough, you will have found sufficient annoying issues on either one. In the end, both PCs and Macs are just computers. The PC platform is more versatile and the other one has the nicer graphics design and in general is more of a pleasure to use. But they're both far from being perfect.

After a few years with Apple I have found even more reasons to hate Apple the company than I've ever had reasons to hate Microsoft the company.

The Apple user community in general is more religious about "their" platform and that is annoying enough in itself. It's also trendy to hate Microsoft's guts, but nobody can give you a real argument for -why- they hate Microsoft. Most of what you hear is just bollocks. I think it's just easy to hate the most successful player.

Furthermore, the comparing Microsoft with Apple is only possible if you reduce it to the software level and regard Apple as just another PC manufacturer (which they are). After all, Microsoft is not producing computers themselves, they only write the software for them. That includes Apple hardware, but Apple on the other side is not directly competing with Microsoft in the PC market, because they are not selling their software to other hardware vendors. Although both companies try to cover all market segments, Apple is focussing on consumers while Microsoft's main focus is on the enterprise. But strangely enough, although Microsoft is an enterprise player, they offer MUCH better solutions for gamers and consumers who want to stream media from their computers to their TV.

Anyway, the list of the differences between the two companies is longer than the list of things that they have in common.

You still want an opinion? Make a checklist of what you actually do with your computer and then compare the feature sets of both offerings and see which one suits your needs best. Usually in the very moment the requirements become a bit more special, you will have to go with a PC.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm actually in a very similar situation to you. I have always been a huge fan of Apple computers, right from the days when I had a G3 iMac (but it was quite old even then) but I have never managed to fully switch to OSX only.

More recently, I have gone from using a G4 Powerbook to using a Core2Duo Macbook Pro and have recently had a Macbook which I've just given to my girlfriend. However, all along, I've also had Windows PC's and I believe it's having the Windows PC's to fall back on which has prevented me from sticking with OSX.

As Winni said, there are things that'll irritate you about both Windows and OSX and for me it's things like file organisation - I guess I'm just used to where Windows stores stuff, and things like Mac MSN not supporting webcams.

I would love to eventually entirely switch to OSX and replace both my desktop PC and (now) laptop PC with Apple parts but it's not gonna happen yet