Leaving rMBP in sleep while in a sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by undertheweather, Aug 14, 2012.

1. undertheweather macrumors newbie

I recently bought a neoprene sleeve for my rMBP that also has a pocket for an iPad.

Here is the link to that if anyone cares:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087TETUI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_1

I was wondering if there would be an issue with leaving the computer in sleep mode while in the sleeve. Would heat build up inside the sleeve that could damage the computer?

2. katmeef macrumors 6502

My initial concern would be the heat generated if the power nap feature is enabled when on battery power. According to the apple website the fans don't spin up in power nap so maybe it wouldn't matter if it's in a sleeve, but I probably wouldn't put mine in a sleeve if I had power nap enabled on battery.

http://www.apple.com/ca/osx/whats-new/features.html#powernap
    'Silent operation
    Power Nap refreshes the data on your Mac silently; no fans or lights come on.'

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The temperature guidelines for the computer are as follows:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
    Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–24° to 45° C)

If you are in those ranges then you should be fine. Where do you live? Is it excessively hot or cold?

4. Lyrrad macrumors member

My understanding is that the Power Nap feature is very low power and should not generate much heat. Furthermore, Power Nap should not activate if the temperature is too high.

Edit: See Apple's KB Article, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

5. undertheweather thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the Chicago area but will be moving to the St. Louis area soon. So no excessive temperature extremes.

Are those temperatures referring to the environment I'm in or the actual temperature of the components? Because if I play games the components will heat up, the GPU was at 70°C, but then as soon as I stop they cool down thanks to the fans.

----------

I have it set so power nap is only on when I have my cord plugged in, in which case I wouldn't have the computer in the sleeve.

6. Rocky244 macrumors regular

The fans don't cause higher temps, obviously they help cool down higher temps. So saying the fans DON'T spin up would be saying that it might matter that the computer is in a sleeve, as the computer won't be able to cool itself down properly from the extra heat that is trapped. Unless you are using that point to say that powernap is low intensity, but it definitely doesn't seem like you are.

As long as you're not putting the computer into the sleeve immediately after playing a game when the computer is blazing hot, you should be fine. People store their computers in sleeves all the time, and for Macs, unless you specifically request differently, when you close the computer it will go to sleep. I doubt you'll be the first person to store your computer in a sleeve while it sleeps.

Pertaining to powernap, it seems unlikely that Apple would take away the functionality of being able to carry your computer in a sleeve. And it seems incredibly unlikely that any small amount of data syncing will cause high temperatures to your computer. The battery is really the only component that you need to be concerned with for high temperatures, as most other components will regularly see temperatures in the 80's (C), which is roughly 190 (F). Wayyyy hotter than Chicago, even if you put it in a sleeve.

If you're that concerned, there are plenty of sleeves with open ends, that provide ventilation if you desire it.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Are we talking about long term storage here? If it's just overnight or for travel, it shouldn't be much concern. If it was, Apple wouldn't be selling sleeves in their stores.

8. NStocks macrumors 65816

9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

As long as you aren't playing the games while the computer is in the sleeve (good luck with that one) you'll be absolutely fine. When the computer is in sleep mode it wont be running hot, and you are definitely within range of the storage temperature.

----------

I agree, I really like it and might pick one up for myself.

10. NStocks macrumors 65816

The reviews say it's a little loose, but it beats looking around for ages and paying £50+ for one!