Leaving safari opened

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mpossoff, Mar 25, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If I left safari on by accident with gmail opened will that drain battery? I ask cause battery drained 20% in 25 minutes.

Marc

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It won't. Once your phone goes to sleep it's not really doing much of anything except listening for incoming signals I don't think, just phone calls, push notifications, and texts.

3. ineedamac macrumors 6502

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If it drained that fast, it was due to having either push on, bluetooth on, or having a very weak signal from 3G or EDGE and your phone constantly having to search for a signal. Even if you were surfing, the battery should last 5 hours (so, 20% and hour maybe). Besides, once you close Safari, it's no longer surfing. There is a small amount of memory being used, but that won't drain the battery much.

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Hi battery was down to 40%. Started browsing, made some calls, and texting. Stayed on 40% without going down. Figured I would re boot iPhone by shutting it off and then on. The battery went up from 40% to 52%.

Is this normal?

Marc

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Yes, that's normal. The exp. resedue in the battery lessens once the battery is deactivated. Once it is restarted, the battery is "clean" and will have a small precentage of pick-up.

Not only that, the battery meters in most small devices are inaccurate.