Leaving the iPod Touch on

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iJiten, Sep 29, 2007.

1. iJiten macrumors member

I don't know if it is just me, but I leave my iPod Touch on all the time even when it is not in use. It's usually on sleep mode, but I was wondering if this was a bad idea. I really don't like to turn it on and off because it takes a while but with my previous iPod's, I would turn them off because you could only listen to music on them.

2. dexx0008 macrumors member

yeah, i do the same, and will continue to do so.

i don't notice a big drain in battery life, i don't even bother to turn off wifi, i'm sure it shuts of wifi when in sleep--> some other people had problems with their battery draining dead by morning. I haven't experienced that or any other battery issues.

3. duraace macrumors member

I hold down the Sleep button for 3 seconds and turn the device off. If I'm not using it, I want the least battery drain.

4. ShanePod macrumors member

drains a lot to start it back up every time

5. duraace macrumors member

How do you know that? Does having it on all night and starting it in the morning drain more power?

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I tend to plug mine in overnight, but from what I gather it actually uses less power when asleep then when turned off/on.

7. halfgoon macrumors newbie

Most computer equipment, I believe, takes more power to turn on than to sleep. For example, turning your computer on sends a (relatively) massive jolt of electricity through to reset the RAM and spark things into life. So I'd say that it's the same deal with the touch. When you turn it on, a lot of the battery's power is used to get things going.

I had my touch going all day yesterday - I listened to music on the way to and from work, and had the wifi net connection going while on my breaks. In between these times, I left it asleep. When I got home at 6pm, the touch was still showing a full battery, having been on since 8am.

8. Stun inc. macrumors newbie

I keep mine on at all times, i use it during the day and it charges when its plugged into my car stereo on my way to work/school.

It never drains the battery just by being asleep I wonder if it shortens its lifespan.

any takers on this?

9. fdmendez macrumors member

Only turn off my touch when I'm not going to use it for a long time and it's not plugged in to charge or sync, otherwise it's usually on.