Lecture Recording

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrNick8404, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DrNick8404 macrumors member

DrNick8404

Many voice recorders that can download/transfer the recording cannot connect to a mac. Many websites say their recorders are mac compatible but in the reviews there are many buyer aware's that they are not. So I asking any experience with this? Is there an app for the MBP where I can connect a cheap little mic so I can record my professors lectures. I am also not trying to buy $100+ recorders :apple:

2. roofz macrumors regular

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Could you use one of the build in recording apps like garageband or the podcast recording thing? That seems like it would be fairly simple to setup. Be careful with cheap mics though, you're audio quality will be crap if there is any background noise.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have not tried it with an external mic, but you could try Quicktime as well. The built in player allows one to create a new video, audio, or movie recording. It is included software so no extra expenses.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

By voice recorders you mean hardware like the Olympus digital recorders? I have one, the WS-300. I seem to recall that Olympus said it wasn't Mac compatible, which was idiotic. I think that's because it shipped with some rather useless software that only ran on a Mac. In fact it mounted via USB like any thumb drive, and you could copy the files on and off as long as you conformed to a naming scheme. The files were also in a Windows format, but nothing that we don't use all the time on Macs with Perian and whatnot.

That being said, those recorders are things of the past. My iPhone and even iPad have superior recording apps, especially if you get a mic (Blue Microphones makes some great ones). Or use a Mac laptop, a mic, and Pear Note, Transcrivia, or even MS Word. Both sync audio to typed notes, which is essential IMHO. Makes your device like a Livescribe pen (another option preferable to those Olympus recorders). In short, all the good recording and transcribing/notetaking software is on Macs or iOS at this point, so you really should ignore any PC hardware.

To sum up, get a Blue Mic Snowflake or EyeBall (occasionally for as little as $30); they plug into your Mac's USB port. If you already have Word, try Word Notebook with the audio (the idea is to record and annotate the recording with your notes, so that you can just click on a word and go to the relevant audio). Again, Pear Note and Transcrivia do this well, although perhaps the latter is a bit more oriented to post processing. There's also Audio Note, although I haven't tried that.

good luck,
    rob

Rob

6. DrNick8404 thread starter macrumors member

DrNick8404

AWESOME man thanks! Im looking into it right now