LED Backlight vs. Cathode Tube

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jardeon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jardeon macrumors newbie

"A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never sure."

Let's amend that...

"A man with one display knows what color it is. A man with two displays is never sure."

I've recently upgraded from a 1st generation MacBook to the 15" Unibody Macbook Pro and I'm having a great deal of trouble adjusting to the difference between the LED backlit internal display, and my Samsung 22" external monitor.

I've probably spent about 8 man-hours going through the display calibrator, and through SuperCal, on both devices, and I can't seem to get a consistent color between both displays. Am I doomed to madness? Will I have to spend money on either a hardware calibration device, or on an LED backlit external monitor?

Has anyone else solved this?

2. illibball087 macrumors regular

it might not be the back light it might be the actually panel type used in both displays (ips, tn, mva, pva, etc)

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Even with a calibrator, you're not guaranteed to get colors to match. Even with two of the same model, there can still be variation. If you're using two different screens, get it as close as you can but don't obsess. There's very little chance you'll get a perfect match.