LED Backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kellte2, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kellte2 macrumors regular

Does anyone know anything about where the LEDs are positioned on the display for the new macbooks? I've noticed my screen to be slightly brighter at the bottom when viewed at full brightness in a dark condition (watching a movie).

Also, has anyone else noticed tiny ripples of black along the bottom when viewed in a dark room at full brightness while the screen is black? It might just be where the backlight is situated, but I wanted to make sure I didn't have a dud display with a bad backlight bleed before my 14 days are up.

2. Draddy macrumors regular

yep, it sucks... but that's the price we pay for buying the cheaper model. it's not like this in the macbook pro.

3. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

lame. I figured that was the case. Not much improved in terms of viewing angle from the white macbooks. Better pop in colors, but that's about it.

So I suppose those dark spots are where the LEDs are lighting up at the bottom... weird.

4. alex000it macrumors member

My Alu MB's screen is PERFECT !

5. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

read the gizmodo review. your claim is relative.

6. PresentACat macrumors regular

Quite, although from all the other reviews/images I have seen people seem to think the gizmodo review is unfair to the horizontal viewing angle, which is no worse than "okay". Almost all say vertical leaves a fair bit to be desired.

I don't plan on running a Pro next to my Macbook so I should think it looks great, which is what is important - if it was in any way unuseable for day to day tasks I would be unable to live with it.
    That said, for the price of the Macbook, it ought to pack a better than average display.

7. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, and to add to that, I've been very happy with my display as I usually have it on a desk and I'm looking at it straight away. That being said, I did notice the effect described in my first post when I was watching a letter boxed movie and I was curious if that was common or normal for this display. It seems like its where the light radiates from the base of the display, but I just wanted to make sure.