led backlit display vs ccfl display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim100, May 25, 2009.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

I have a general question re led back lit displays and a ccfl lit display, regarding lcd either tv, laptop, and monitor. What are the pros and cons? What will your next lcd be?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Pros of an LED: Uses less power, brighter (in general), longer "life" before fading out in comparison to CCFL (which is still a long long time) and "instant" full brightness...

Pros of CCFL: Cheaper and there are more choices since not many have adopted LED yet.

My Macbook's screen is LED, and my Dell Ultrasharp's screen is CCFL, and the backlight doesn't really have much to do with how the screen looks or anything, since all it is, is a backlight, nothing more. That said, my Dell is brighter at 20% than my macbook at full, even though it is CCFL, and obviously since it has a better panel than the macbook (PVA vs. TN), it looks a ton better.

LED makes sense in notebooks since they use less power while on battery, but in a desktop monitor, it doesn't matter. Not to me anyway.

3. eron macrumors 6502

I use my MBP and a 2007fp in a dual screen setup. It annoys me a little that my 2007fp is only usable 3-5secs after my macbook screen is.

The next thing is, a LED screen saves energy cost, which does affect your electricity bills long term. Even if you don't pay the bills, think about the planet.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Your 2007 takes THAT long to brighten up to be usable? Wow, my 2709 is super bright, it does still take a few seconds to get to "full brightness" from waking. Although, mine still is pretty new, but I keep it at 5% brightness most of the time, 20% max.

You are right though, LED is much "greener" than CCFL.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does LED suffer from the same brightnes degradation over time that CCFL does?