LED Backlit Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kolax, Oct 10, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'm currently using a Windows laptop that has a glossy screen (it is about 4 years old!). The reflections are really irritating, although this was my primary laptop before I switched, and really can't remember how I coped with the glossy screen!

I've been reading about, and I'm interested to know what impact having the display lit by LEDs has on reflections (since the brightness will be higher), and how noticable they are compared to conventional glossy screens.

Reason I'm asking is, while my MBP is in for repair for a faulty GPU, I'm really considering selling it and buying one of the new MacBook's when they are released. Trouble is, they only come in glossy.

Also, as a final question, has anyone used a matte cover for a glossy screen?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The glossies make me cranky too. I think it is 3M that makes a privacy filter that also cuts down the gloss, but don't quote me on that.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can get the PowerSupport matte screen protector; it works like it should and it protects the screen too.

4. joshpicasso macrumors newbie

joshpicasso

bummer monitor

I just got the new MacBook with the LED monitor. I have to say, Im kind of bummed. the top of the monitor is more saturated then the bottom. It goes from dark at the top to light at the bottom. The dock looks all washed out. grrrrrrrr :mad: . Maybe I'll get used to it, but its really irritating. Everything else is awesome however. :apple:

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I played with one quite a bit today and didn't see that at all on the display model - and I looked.:apple: If it is that bad, I'd take it back and see if it's a fluke. If not, there are certainly are cheaper and better choices out there.:apple:

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I bought not 1 but 2 photodon antiglare screen protectors. I dont like em. I think they work great for small screens like the iphone, but on a bigger device like the macbook display you soon begin to miss the glossiness. The protector really washes out the color. I noticed a very distint white hue on the screen as well as the colors being very dull. It got so annoying i took it off. A little bit of reflections is worth it for a bighter crisper colored display. Dont bother with an AR screen.