LED CD Price Justification

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chozo, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Chozo macrumors member

Alright, so looking at the price from the Canadian store, it's priced at $1000 and from the American store it's $900.

Now that is a ton of money for a monitor, even if it's a nice 24 inch LED Macbook monitor. As much as I think it'd be nice to have one, I can't see a need for it when you have to shell out that much money.

Anyone who actually plans on buying one, please share your reasoning. Maybe you're a photographer or video editor, or maybe you just want a nice monitor. Whatever the case, I'm really interested.

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I agree. I currently have a 2 year old 1.83 GHz Macbook and I've been considering buying either an Apple Display or an iMac. I feel like the new LED Display is just too expensive for me, but I understand how it appeals to professional photographers and designers.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I'm not going to buy one now - I have a mac pro and two monitors (Both IPS) already, but I imagine that for anybody who does buy it, the reasons would be the same as always. Professionals will probably wait for specs before they buy:

IPS Panel (if it has it; I suspect it does) - with LED backlight, better gamut fewer backlight problems. No dimming/warm up problems. Glossy aside, might have potential use for people who need accurate monitors. The old ACDs are best known for SWOP matching, especially out of the box. We'll see how these do.

Convenience - if you've got one of the new Macbooks, or are a photographer, say, doing tethered shoting at a studio, this is pretty quick to set up, wire-wise.

Style - lots of people are willing to cough up big dough for this.

For my part, I wonder about the specs. I suspect that if it doesn't turn out too well color-wise, not too many people who don't really want the style or convenience will bother with this one. As it is, nobody can connect it to their mac pro, immediately removing the largest market segment for people who bought the previous displays. Which remain on sale at the same price, so they may actually just be adding a smaller product line rather than replacing a product. Given how much laptop sales are up, this actually makes sense since their market for the "old" ACDs is a small core, mostly professionals, that isn't going to change any time soon. And those people are equally likely to buy a NEC or Eizo display, anyway.

As for the "ton of money" argument, when was the last time you saw a truly cheap IPS panel? The cheapest 24" IPS panel monitors start at $600, for an HP or Doublesight. Believe it or not, Apple's display occupies the medium price in the range here, or if you're looking purely at high end/professional use LCDs, it's actually "cheap". Most people, particularly the ones complaining about prices of ACDs, aren't the intended market. If they have to ask why it's expensive - or why an IPS - they oughtn't be buying one. That said, I cheaped out on my monitors by buying a Doublesight DS-263N and a used NEC 2090UXi, but I'm a student. My equipment isn't (yet) being provided by a company with deep pockets.

Hope that clears some of this up. The LCD question comes up time and time again, though I will admit that right now, it's a bit confusing. Wait for the dust to settle. We'll see what the specs look like. Right now, probably a new IPS.

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

LED back lit IPS panels are becoming more available to monitor makers, and the prices are dropping. Wait awhile, and they will become more affordable. :)

Though I don't think they would be available in TN panels (budget models) for a couple of years though. :eek:

They want to pay for the R&D, tooling,... first, with lots of profit of course. ;) Greedy b@#%@$*^. :p

6. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

If the new panel is an IPS, which judging by the response time and viewing angle, it is, $899 is really not that much for a 24" monitor that includes iSight, sound, and (hopefully) amazing image quality. The 23" sells for the same price so I don't see how the new ACD is outrageously priced. I actually thought it would cost more.

7. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

same here, all other led 24" monitors cost an easy $2500

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I saw somewhere that the new 24" is an IPS panel. :)
    The HP DreamColor LP2480zx (IPS + LED back light) can be had for a bit less on the street ~$2230USD.
    Well reviewed, and a bit less $$$. :D

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You folks are confusing LED monitors and LED-backlit monitors. Based on the awful response time it is an LED-backlit-LCD-IPS-panel covered by glass.

Anyone interested in gaming on a 24" is best off with the Dell Ultrasharp 2408 for $600.

I am a sucker for the connectivity cables ;)

10. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

lolololy :D you mean allot, i could get 2 apple LED monitors and still have $400 to spare, honestly the 24" LED monitor from apple is incredible cheap, even when something is cheap people want it cheaper :p

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I was commenting on the $2500 price tag. :p

The ACD released is aimed at the consumer market from what I can tell. ;)
    When, hopefully not if, they release new professional ACD's for the Mac Pro, they would very likely be quite a bit higher in cost, which currently $2500 or so ATM for a 24". :(
    This is the only type I'm currently aware of, so LED seems to be ubiquitous ATM. ;)

Have you come across a true LED panel, rather than IPS w/LED back light? Or even a PVA or TN with LED back lighting?
    For nonprofessional needs, this is realistic as a decent monitor. Others too of course. ;)
    LOL! They tend to be quite handy. :D