Led Cinema Display 24 or Dell U2711

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sensamic, May 4, 2010.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hi everyone.

Im buying a new macbook pro 13 and Im looking forward to using it along a big display, such as the Led Cinema Display or the Dell U2711. I cant really decide between these two.

Advantages of the Led Cinema Display:

- 100% compatible with the macbooks
    - The magsafe connector, really really important to me so I dont have to carry with me the macbook adapter up and down
    - Speakers
    - Webcam and microphone integrated to use with skype
    - Cool design and good materials
    - Perfect size
    - 3 usb ports
    - Led backlight
    - IPS

Disadvantages:

- Glossy display
    - Only compatible with macbooks. No hdmi, dvi, vga, etc
    - Full hd resolution (Im looking for the Dell because of its 2560x1440 resolution, the same as the imac 27 which is really really nice)

Advantages of the Dell U2711:

- Bigger size. 27 inch display for better internet browing, work space, movies, games, etc
    - 2560x1440 resolution. Having this resolution means it will last longer, more years without being obsolete
    - Matte (this way my eyes wont hurt with the glossy display)
    - Usb, card reader...
    - Adjustable. The display can be moved up and down and to the sides
    - IPS
    - 0 dead pixel guarantee. Really really important
    - 3 years warranty
    - HDMI, VGA, DVI so it can be use with apple and pc. Great for future plans

Disadvantages:

- No speakers
    - No webcam or microphone
    - No magsafe connector
    - Too expensive
    - Users say the matte finish looks ugly and this worrys me a lot

What do you guys think? Which one of these two should I buy? Im not looking to any other models since I cant find anything I like so much as these two.

Thanks

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

No, it's compatible with any digital video interface equipped computer (which includes everything you mentioned above: HDMI, DVI, Displayport), sans VGA.

3. xenetic macrumors newbie

I think it's great that apple is promoting pure digital signals, but would it have killed them to have an HDMI port? You could connect them to other computers with display port options, but really, they're clearly designed exclusively for macbooks. I would like to buy one of their new cinema displays, but they'll never be able to work with my PS3 or xbox 360. I've searched for any possible ways but it seems that it's impossible to get them to work because of how their's only one display input and it seems that the display doesn't do 1:1 pixel placement for letterboxing 1080p content (game consoles).

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

HDMI is a digital signal. Yes, they will work with your PS3 and Xbox360, and anything that outputs via Digital signals, as I have just mentioned in my previous post.

Edit: I was getting the iMac and ACDs mixedup in thinking there was a MDP port on the ACD itself. I guess there aren't any female MDP adapters available out there. I take back what I said then. I wonder why there aren't any female MDP adapters in the market?

Still though, any Mac will be able to connect to the ACD, and not just the Macbook lines.

6. xenetic macrumors newbie

When people say they're "only" for MacBooks, apple clearly designed them to be paired up very well with their laptops (the tri connector with usb, display port, and the magsafe). The actual design of the display also matches the macbooks glossy displays too.

But hooking them up to anything that's not a macbook or anythying else that's not display port is kinda tricky. First, there's no actual female port to plug anything other display cable into; they only give you the one male display port. You can't simply plug your xbox360 or PS3 into the display and get it to work right off the bat. The ps3 outputs to 1080p, the ACD is natively 1200 pixels vertically. Some monitors (like the dell mentioned adobe) have scalers that can just adjust the resolution to various sources. To get the same functionality with the ACD, you need to do something like this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855

It works if you're willing to go to the trouble, but then you have a more cables and converters on your desk, detracting away from the elegance of the simple apple monitor.

7. theluker69 macrumors newbie

I havent used the dell display personaly but I can vouch for the Led display. A friend has one and he loves it and It does look really nice. I do want to say this isnt my display though so I only know so much. I figured Id tell you that he likes it tho just to be of some help ha as little as it may be.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Your right. I forgot that the ACD is not like the iMac in that it simply has a female MDP port. Tricky Apple indeed ....:rolleyes:

And I just tried search for a female MDP adapter with no success. Strange.

Yea, I agree with you that the ACD is most suited for Macbook computers, just because of the very convenient Magsafe connector and possibly the shortened cable, but don't let that stop you from pairing it up with any Mac computer, regardless of Appe's marketing. These make very nice displays for any Mac really.

Now back to the OT, might I suggest waiting until WWDC next month? There are rumors of an impending ACD 27", which should perfectly mimic the 27" iMac display, which means it may very well come in 16x9, and thats something you may want to consider, being that both the 24" ACD and U2711 are 16x10 displays. It's also speculated that the 24" could see a price drop if the mentioned 27" ACD is indeed true.

So unless you really need the display as soon as possible, I would suggest at least waiting until WWDC. Its just a month away.

9. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Im not that interested on the new led cinema display 27, unless its matte. Still, its price would be much more expensive than the U2711, for example.

Ive never understood the difference between a fermale or male connection. Could someone tell me the difference so I dont get confunsed any more? Thanks.

One day Im completely in for the ACD and the next day its the U2711. I cant really decide between these two...

If the ACDE was matte I wouldnt even hesitate. Im trying to find out if the glossy display would be annoying in my bedroom.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

True about the price on the aforementioned 27" ACD, however build quality will always be better than the Dell's. It would also use LED backlighting, which is a plus, not to mention it would logically retain the features the 24" currently employs (webcam and speakers for example); disadvantages that you've previously mentioned about U2711.

Even if you're not interested in the 27" ACD, I also want to believe that Apple will also drop the price on the 24" ACD if the 27" is introduced. I wouldn't hold my breath on this, as it's difficult to predict Apple, but it may be reason to consider waiting a bit...

Hey, maybe they'll also introduce a matte variant of the 27" ACD too...Who knows really?

Honestly though, I know it's difficult to decide. I do like the fact that Dell is extremely flexible with height and angle adjustments. I also like the card reader too. Price is expensive, but Dell has plentiful sales so the price tag isn't as strict as Apple's pricing scheme. You can even try giving them a call and get a discount over the phone.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen the U2711 as low as $899 a couple of times on Dell's site, which is neck to neck with Apple's price. If you can get it at this price, then I definitely agree that the U2711 is a better value.

As for male and female differences, here are two pics:

Male connectors:

[​IMG]

Female connectors:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

11. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the help. Now I understan the male and female connections.

Sometimes I consider waiting to see the new 27 ACD, but cant wait two months to have it since I need to start working as soon as possible. Maybe I could buy the 24 ACD and a few months later, if the 27 is really worth it and I can afford it, I could sell it on ebay... Its not a good option, I know.

I like the commodity of the 24 ACD, which makes it so simple to pair with the macbooks (Im waiting for a 13).

One of my biggest worries with the Dell is that I think its too thick for my table, so I would have it too close to me and I dont really like that. With the 24 I could have it more far away from me. But I have the feeling that maybe its not such a good idea to buy it now that there a new monitors with higher resolutions, such as the Dell.

I cant get out of my head that the new 27 ACD will be waaaaaaaay too expensive...