Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hldomster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Hello,

I'm very, very close to buying an LED Cinema Display, but before I make the final decision I've got a few questions.

1) Is it likely that Apple will lower the price later this year. I remember reading on Appleinsider that the old Cinema Displays did fall in price over time.

2) Is it likely that Apple will update the 24" Display this year? By an update I mean something like additional IO (HDMI would be nice, for example, as would additional USB ports)?

3) Am I likely to regret the purchase? From what I've read on here most people think the displays really good, but some have had problems. I've heard that when new products are released the manufacturing process still isn't perfect, so maybe those problems with dead pixels/dust in screen have been resolved?

Thanks for your help in advance.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
1) No
2) No
3) Regret is a personal feeling therefore, no stranger on the internet can answer that for you. However, in keeping with the theme of my response ... no.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
1) No
2) No
3) Regret is a personal feeling therefore, no stranger on the internet can answer that for you. However, in keeping with the theme of my response ... no.

Agreed.

The 24" is new.
The 20" won't ever happen (24" seems to be the minimum size now.)
The 30" would be $3000 if released right now.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
1) Apple keeps price, but will add new features if it wants. But in this case, as it was with their ACD's, most likely not.
2) No, and probably won't. They will stand behind the MiniDisplay port as it's uniform through all of its products right now. Plus they make more money by selling display adapters.
3) You have 14 days to return it. Try it out and decide for yourself.

mik34

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
Agreed.

The 24" is new.
The 20" won't ever happen (24" seems to be the minimum size now.)
The 30" would be $3000 if released right now.

Why do you think the 30" would be $3000? I'm not being confrontational, I actually want to know. I've been waiting for the 30" update, but no way I'm spending $3K on it when the 24" is $900. Why would the price more than triple for 6 more inches?

gveri

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I can only comment on the buyer's remorse aspect. I have a 24" led display and it is beautiful. It works great with my macbook and I have only one power plug now. Before with my Windows PC I had three, one for the desktop, one for the monitor and one for the speakers. I am a mac newbie and have thought from time to time it was too much, but this purchase was a treat for myself. I had just passed a certification exam and not purchased a new system in over three years. I was due. At least one of us thought so. If you can afford to do it, do it soon, you can always have reasons to wait for price drops or new products.

This is my first post, so everyone be easy on me.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
1. Apple updated the price of the Cinema Display just a few months after its release, so it's not totally impossible, but currently seems very unlikely.

https://www.macrumors.com/2005/01/04/display-price-drop/

2. No. Apple is about thinness and getting rid of unnecessary IO. You will not be receiving any more USB ports or an HDMI port. Just no.

3. You won't regret it. The LED Cinema Display is a phenomenal display and you'll be stunned by the clarity and quality of your Mac.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
I agree with all the reply's here -

1. Nope, Apple (probably) won't reduce the price anytime soon. If money is an issue, what about a 24" display from Dell or similar. Dell actually make pretty good displays for their price.

2. Apple is all behind the MiniDisplay Port, so they won't be adding HDMI anytime soon. As for more IO, they might add a FW 800, but not anytime soon. Surely 3 USB's on the Monitor and how many USB's you have on your computer are enough - if not, you could pick up a cheap USB Hub.

3. Every company learns from it's mistakes with a first generation device. (Take the MacBook Air, iPod etc). It's up to you. If you do have a problem, AppleCare are always great, and a re a pleasure to talk to and deal with. If this is a long term investment (And you plan keeping the display for a few years) Why not take up some extended AppleCare protection? AppleCare Protection plan for all Apple Displays can be found here: US Store, UK Store.

I don't think you should regret your purchase, but if you're not too sure if you want to get the 24"  LED display, why not take a look at some monitors by Dell.

Hope this Helps...

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Yeah, do it. You'll love it and it will hold its resale value better than any other monitor.

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I have the LED ACD. There are a couple important things to consider before you buy it. Are you okay with the glossy display? Many people are not. Are you okay with being locked into the mini displayport connection? Are you okay with paying a fairly large premium for the LED technology?

I would not expect any price drops or significant changes. Also, dead pixels and dust are potential problems with any display.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I found AppleCare on eBay for about £30 for the Cinema Displays. I've not bought it because I'm waiting on confirmation from a seller that it will work with the new LED model. Does anyone know if this is the case?

The product listing is here.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
I found AppleCare on eBay for about £30 for the Cinema Displays. I've not bought it because I'm waiting on confirmation from a seller that it will work with the new LED model. Does anyone know if this is the case?

The product listing is here.

I did check with Apple Sales (Via the Online Chat) and they confirmed that: AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple Display found here on the Apple website will cover the 24" LED display.

hldomster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks for all the replies so far, they've been very useful.

I'm not really interested in another display, I like the connectivity of the ACD and its glossiness. Besides, the decent Dell ones are more expensive than the ACD is with the student discount, which I'll get, making it £525 rather than £635.

The option I considered was buying a Sony BRAVIA and connecting my MacBook to that. The advantage being it would be cheaper and I could plug other devices in if I got them (not that I own a Blu Ray player or a console at the moment). The disadvantage is that it would be a hassle to connect to the MacBook (does MiniDP to HDMI exist yet?) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to use the TV as an external, display. The other problem is choice, i.e. finding the right BRAVIA, and at what cost.

It's a really tough decision for me to make, so all advice is greatly appreciated.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
LED LCD tech is still very expensive for the large panels. The two or three other companies that have them are $3000+

Time will bring it down.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Why do you think the 30" would be $3000? I'm not being confrontational, I actually want to know. I've been waiting for the 30" update, but no way I'm spending $3K on it when the 24" is $900. Why would the price more than triple for 6 more inches?

+1, not confronting you [Grimace], just curious why so much!

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!

Pricing is not linear my friend. With new tech like this, it is more like exponential. Those extra 6" will cost you DEARLY because getting all the extra circuitry to work, not to mention just physically adding that many more pixels, is not cheap. It IS cheap on non-LED panels because they can just throw in bigger light tubes in back, which is not nearly as expensive.

Personally, I see no benefit to getting the LED ACD. Go for something like an HP or a Dell, and you will get a bigger screen with MUCH more I/O for a lot less. I see no benefit to LED other than for on notebooks or for people who really get horny over the minute detail of their displays. So basically, I am saying that yes, LED will look a bit better, but personally, there is no way in bloody hell I could justify $900 for a 24" display, not when comparable sized ones are priced at least 1/2 that...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Dell and co's IPS panels are not half the price of the ACD. At least not where the OP lives. Cinema Display is £525 with student discount and Dell's 24" UltraSharp is £550 - more expensive than the Apple display!

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I have one and I love it.

I'm not sure if you care, but the LED makes it a real electricity miser. I read 50 watts for the 24" display, plus powering and charging my macbook at 87% charge in lid-closed mode with average usage. (With both displays in use (lid-open mode), I think it uses a lot more electricity for some reason because it gets much warmer, but I haven't checked thoroughly because two screens confuse me.)

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
+1, not confronting you [Grimace], just curious why so much!

I think it's not just the size, but the resolution as well. At 2560X1600, the display can't be cheap, plus add in the fact that's it's an H-IPS display with LED backlighting, has features like the Magsafe, iSight, and speakers, and on top of that Apple's high profit margins, and you have one expensive display.

Look at last-gen: $899 for 23". $1799 for 30". $900 extra for 7".

When the ACD's first launched(the aluminum ones), the 23" costed $1999, and he 30" was $3299. So, $1300 for just 7".

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I think it's not just the size, but the resolution as well. At 2560X1600, the display can't be cheap, plus add in the fact that's it's an H-IPS display with LED backlighting, has features like the Magsafe, iSight, and speakers, and on top of that Apple's high profit margins, and you have one expensive display.

Look at last-gen: $899 for 23". $1799 for 30". $900 extra for 7".

When the ACD's first launched(the aluminum ones), the 23" costed $1999, and he 30" was $3299. So, $1300 for just 7".

jeeperzzzzz!!@#:eek:

hldomster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Just an update.

I have, today, ordered my LED Cinema Display from the Apple Store. I've contemplated this long and hard and decided it is worth it.

I've bought a Logitech MX Revolution and a Apple wired keyboard sans numerical pad to go with it (was really unsure about getting wireless but decided I'd save the money and the USB port). Got Applecare for Display off ebay for £30. Am considering an mstand but will wait and see how much I need it and if I can afford it.

I'll post again when I get it up and running, with a picture or two hopefully!

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
The 24" led ACD is the most beautiful display I've ever seen--buy it. If apple made a 30" version of it with something besides display port, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even @ 2-3k.

And really, you will not find an h-ips display that is led backlit from any manufacturer at that price. It really is an awesome price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.