Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2009
So I am the new owner of a 24" LED Cinema Display and about 3 days in I noticed that the display has a very slight yellow gradient from top to bottom (bluer at the top, yellow/warmer towards the bottom). Judging by posts on this forum and others, it seems like these displays tend to have minor imperfections, be they pixel defects, debris behind the glass, or color gradients that are noticeable on solid backgrounds.

The gradient on my display is actually very similar to what I see on my 15" SR MBP's display, leading me to wonder if this is something common amongst all LED backlit displays, or if it's just a coincidence.

I'm torn as to whether I should exchange this, and take my chances with getting a replacement with another issue. Except for the slight yet noticeable (to me) yellowish gradient, the display is otherwise in good shape - there is minimal backlight bleed on a black background, and there are no pixel defects or debris behind the glass.

What are your thoughts? Is there such a thing as a perfect display? If you had to live with one of these minor defects, which would be the least annoying? :confused:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hi

Mines not, it has that top to bottom gradient issue and after a few weeks it is now developing horrible grey blotches in the bottom left hand corner, also even with the sound
turned off it sits there randomly clicking and popping £600 for this, not good, it is going back :(

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
So I am the new owner of a 24" LED Cinema Display and about 3 days in I noticed that the display has a very slight yellow gradient from top to bottom (bluer at the top, yellow/warmer towards the bottom). Judging by posts on this forum and others, it seems like these displays tend to have minor imperfections, be they pixel defects, debris behind the glass, or color gradients that are noticeable on solid backgrounds.

The gradient on my display is actually very similar to what I see on my 15" SR MBP's display, leading me to wonder if this is something common amongst all LED backlit displays, or if it's just a coincidence.

I'm torn as to whether I should exchange this, and take my chances with getting a replacement with another issue. Except for the slight yet noticeable (to me) yellowish gradient, the display is otherwise in good shape - there is minimal backlight bleed on a black background, and there are no pixel defects or debris behind the glass.

What are your thoughts? Is there such a thing as a perfect display? If you had to live with one of these minor defects, which would be the least annoying? :confused:

A yellow gradient isn't a minor imperfection..
It basically render your screen useless when it comes to work that requires color accuracy.

I can live with a dead pixel, because that is only annoying, it doesn't ruin or limiting the screen.

I've got my screen replaced after 27 months on this MBP, just because the backlight suddenly became slightly darker at the bottom.

There are screens without imperfections, that's why not everyone buys a $100 screen at the local supermarket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.