LED Cinema Display Looks Better Than iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JamDonut, Jun 4, 2011.

1. JamDonut macrumors member

So as it suggests in the title, does anyone else think that the cinema display looks a lot nicer than the iMacs do? i knowwww the apeal of an iMac quad-core powerful blah blah but i think i'd rather have a 15" BTO hooked up to a cinema display at home looking at me than an iMac :D

just thought i'd find out others' opinions :)

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I prefer the iMac. I like the chin and it gives it good character. The cinema display looks quite boring in my opinion. That and the cinema display kinda looks like a standard glossy monitor - minus the nice stand, though.

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

By 'looks a lot nicer' do mean in terms that it has no "chin," or, are you talking about the actual display: bighter, better contrast etc.?

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I like the sexy Jay Leno style chin, gives it character!

5. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

sorry, i mean the no "chin" factor, the sleek black glass bit that is similar to the MBP :)

6. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Chin.. no chin... just as long as it is big! Size does matter after all.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Absolutely agree with you OP. We have both the iMac and ACD in the house and I totally prefer the cleaner and more minimal look of the ACD. Nothing but the black bezel is truly minimal and that's just much more awesome looking to me. I would rather have a thicker iMac with no chin, but that's me.

I also hope Apple's future cinema displays follow Samsung's new almost bezel-less displays. I think think those TV's look beautiful.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

9. mackage macrumors 6502

The chin is nice....the Cinema display is too bland looking.

10. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

To me, an ACD looks much nicer than an iMac

I compared an ACD and the display of an iMac side by side in a store. I really like the ACD much more than the display of an iMac. I am looking forward to acquring a Mac Mini and an ACD when the Mac Mini (and the ACD) is (are) updated this year.

11. qap macrumors 6502

qap

+1 :cool:

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I don't like thickness of the bezel on the acd, I think it gives it sort of a toy like quality. The iMac has a bit more edge to it on the bottom, which I like.

13. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Typical Mac mentality.

When asked about which display looks better, 95% of the talk concentrates on how the design of the bezel is and NOT on the panel quality of the 2 screens in question.....sighhhhh :rolleyes:

I buy Apple stuff because I like good design - but when it comes to comparing these two screens, and I own one of each - at least I've payed for them both but still waiting for that SSD to get into my iMac 27 - I think the panel is of more importance than the outer design as both looks quite nice.

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Uhhh, care to share what the difference is between the Cinema Display and the iMac display besides the bezel? You know, since we have that "Mac mentality" and all, I might be missing it!

15. CHSeifert, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Should be the same panel - but since the iMac has a whole computer 1" away from the panel funny things start to happen - dust, prints and yellowness in a lot of iMacs. Haven't heard of the same problems with the acd27 monitor.

But some thinks the display looks better on the Led ACD 27 - maybe they do use two different types of panels.....who knows ?
    Same manufacturer - LG - but maybe minor differences in the panel.....

16. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

Well, I thaugt this was a thread about the physical appearance, rather than image quality... :)

17. CHSeifert, Jun 6, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

As I say, you then think like a true Mac Man ;)
    Nothing wrong with that, just find it funny that Mac Folks automatically think about looks before content ;)

18. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

I am afraid this was the idea behind this thread! didn't even mean to think that way ;) you must be right!

but also glad so many agree with me :D it is bad that looks are often priority number 1! especially as to get the display with keyboard and magic mouse/trackpad you are talking about $1200 haha! then you need a mac... lol but yes this was about looks only and it seems to be the general opinion that the monitor is better looking than the iMac :D

19. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

I think both are sexy but ACD might be slightly better looking.

20. CHSeifert, Jun 6, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Lookwise I honestly like both but prefer the iMac with its lip and huge Apple logo. The LED ACD 27 has a more discrete design, which will tend to appeal to the more 'discrete' Apple user, I think :)

21. iDabble macrumors regular

I prefer the acd looks wise to the iMac. The colors are slightly different between the 2 displays as well.