Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macminz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Hi everyone of macrumors forum

ive got a macbook pro and LED cinema display... anyone know how to change the webcam from the macbook screen to the display screen... i cant find any settings to change it..... very odd

any led display uses care to shine some light

cheers in advance

macminz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
i had another look about tonight... search the apple support and had no joy

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Go to preferences and select display. Then drag the white menu bar from the little screen to the big screen. I think this might work. Of course, it will make the LED display the main screen.

macminz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Go to preferences and select display. Then drag the white menu bar from the little screen to the big screen. I think this might work. Of course, it will make the LED display the main screen.

Thanks for that, this does work... however i think apple could have easily built a button into the isight system preferences panel to switch cam's if you have 2 displays... or even use both cam's at once... that'd be cool.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I thought when you plugged in the display all the I/O got shifted to the screen automatically. Is that not the case? That's what it says on Apple's product pages.

lucamacis

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
London
I thought when you plugged in the display all the I/O got shifted to the screen automatically. Is that not the case? That's what it says on Apple's product pages.

Again, as 'Trag' said it depends whether you use the external display as the main desktop or the extended desktop. If it's the main then the menu bar, dock and iSight is moved to the external desktop. Otherwise its all on the main MBP screen.

macminz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
That is not the case for me,
I use the LED screen as my main display (with dock and menu bar) and when i open photobooth the webcam on my macbook pro is activated.. ive just tried switching... no different... even if i mirror the displays.

pretty odd?

the only way i can get to use the webcam on the LED is to put the lid down on the macbook pro to activate 'desktop mode'

macminz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
thanks for that.. tip in iMovie.... apple should really build a pref pane for the isight like.

thanks for all the help.

PrincessPeach

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
It's a bit lame but another way to do it is to open a webcam window in another program (I think Yahoo lets you preview on your own or you may be able to grab it with Skype using the camera preview) then open PhotoBooth. It won't be able to use the default so will pick the next webcam in your collection.

Some preferences would have been nice, I agree.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
What happens when you use QuickTime? Do you have the option of cam selection? When I have two cams connected to my MBP I can select which one I want to use.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
i'd be wary of closing the laptop. seems like they get ridiculously hot when closed.

There are several options for using the monitor with a laptop. Mr. thefunkymunky is correct. Operating the monitor as the primary/only screen with an external keyboard and mouse while the laptop is closed is one of the options covered by the monitor's documentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.