LED Cinema Display: Questions about Connectivity

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sum 2 Three, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

Yo. I'm considering getting an cinema display for my macbook in a few weeks, and I've got a couple questions about connectivity.

First, my current setup:

I've got an LCD monitor on my desk. I've got a switch which takes vga (mini-display to vga adapter) from my computer and s-video from my xbox as well as audio from both and switches bother the monitor and speakers on my desk between the two. It's a very nice setup.

My questions are as follows:
    -is there any way to recreate this setup or something similar with the cinema display?
    -is there any way, or any rumors of ways, to connect any other than MB/MBP/MBA to the cinema display (by way of adapters?).

Thanks in advance for your help

2. gwihannom macrumors member

Well, even if you can, don't do it. In order to run this setup, you'll be downgrading the new LED Cinema Display's quality to VGA, DVI or whichever level that your switch converts it to. You'll be buying a $900 display to use it for $200 level. Get a big 24 inch Acer/ASUS/Westinghouse for that.

Secondly, I don't think it's possible to use your current switch. Macworld 2009 in January should reveal some more LED Cinema Displays I think. But currently the one that you see that was released recently, only connects to the MacBook lines. Some adapters should come soon, but no timetable.

If you must repeat your setup, go with the previous generation of Cinema Display, which has all aluminum casing. Then you'll be able to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter.

Since you'll be buying a display in a few weeks anyway, wait for what comes out and by the time you make a decision, you'll have more choice. BUT in order to recreate your setting, don't buy the Cinema Display. It would be a waste of money, except to make your setting really "pretty."

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not possible; the LED display only has 1 input connected and it's hardwired mini-DisplayPort. In addition to that there are presently no adapters from mini-DisplayPort (female) to male (any connector).

4. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

:rolleyes: Yo, dawg :rolleyes: No x 2 for now , there are KVM's which you can input multiple units to that can do what you want but nothing currently out in the market support "mini display port". you're gonna have to wait without a promise...