LED Cinema Display Screen Possibly Dead after 2 Months?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dsa420, Feb 25, 2010.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

So I come into my office this morning to find one of my two 24" LED Cinema Displays will not "turn on". After running through a few logical diagnosis steps: testing the video cards, swapping power cables, etc, I discovered that the display is still delivering power out of the USB outlets in the back.

My thought is that more than likely the minidisplay cable is bad and was told to take it to a local retail store by the Apple Care. Retail store plugs the display in and confirms the same results I was seeing.

I left my display there about 5 hrs ago with the promise that they were going to diagnose and call me back tonight. Assuming that indeed its the cable or something else, they are going to have to order parts and repair which may take anywhere from 7-10 days.

Considering that this display is 2 months old, am I crazy to think that they should simply either issue me a new one or send me a refurb as opposed to making me wait it out?

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

7 to 10 days? That is ridiculous, I've had the display panel replaced in 24 hours. And I don't live in a major market, I live in Tulsa, OK. They overnighted the parts and repaired it. I've had several Apple Display's repaired and have never waited more than 3 day's.

3. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's almost closing time for the store and I just called as I haven't heard anything. Person who answered the phone said they will try to look at it by tomorrow afternoon, I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't look at it until I raise a stink.

Should I simply spare myself the heartache of getting upset and just deal with the fact that this is going to probably take a week at least? Will getting upset and involving the manager get me any where in trying to get this expedited?

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I go threw AppleCare on the phone. I just politely explain to them that my Pro is used for business in my home office. And they usually call the store for me to move the repair along quickly.

5. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, not surprisingly just called the Apple Store and was told no one has looked at my display yet. This is after I spoke with Apple Care earlier today who claimed they conveyed a message to the store that this repair was "mission critical".

My first run in with crappy service at the hands of Apple, their do no wrong status has finally been tarnished in my eyes.

6. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am now on day #6 of my display being with Apple and yet to have a definitive timeline for when it will be repaired. At this point they are waiting for a new LCD screen after the 2 other things (power supply and logic board cable) they thought were the problems did not fix it.

I have pestered AAPL Care and they still refuse to offer send me out a new refurbished unit or a new one for that matter. Am I being unrealistic to expect that at this point considering the display is only 4 months old?

7. polotska macrumors 6502

I can sympathize with your frustration, but to be honest, this sounds pretty typical of an Apple Store repair. I've had better luck (faster turnaround time and fewer unresolved issues) using Apple's mail-in service. They used to offer this for displays, although it's been quite a while since I've needed to have a display repaired, so I don't know if that's still the case.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Exactly what you would expect, right?

9. cbster macrumors member