LED Cinema Display to allow input video?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maclook, Oct 22, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I find it strange that the new iMac will be able to input video whereas the standalone display does not. Does anyone think that either the hardware or software will be updated in the LED Display to allow it to input video other than from a macbook?

while the iMac seems to offer more value, i want to find a refurb LED display because I really only need a monitor and not an all-in-one desktop

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

that would be steller

i would really love it if the imac didnt have to be fully powered on to use the display (aka cpu, hdd, etc)

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wait, am I missing or misunderstanding something? I thought that the new 27" iMac could only take in a video feed through its mini-display port, which is exactly the same as the LED Cinema Display.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

They hook up just fine to my Mac Pro.

Yeah I am a bit confused as well.

5. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

The Apple Cinema Display acts just like the new 27" iMac; It accepts input from its' MiniDisplay Port. The only problem is that few, scratch that, no products other than MacBooks, Mac Pros and Mac Pro Video Cards output MiniDisplay Port. However if one were to buy the Atlona DVI to Mini DisplayPort (http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html) then buy a HDMI to DVI theoretically you could connect your PS3 or other TV object into your Apple Cinema Display.

King Mook Mook

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Except there is another problem - the LED Cinema Display has a MALE mini DisplayPort connector.

7. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Yes, I realise that and that is why I linked to a product that has female Mini DisplayPort output and DVI input. If it was just a normal Mini DisplayPort male and DVI female it could be much cheaper. The reason that the linked product is so expensive is because there is active conversion between the DVI and Mini DisplayPort where as if it was just the normal adapter there would be no active conversion necessary as DisplayPort carries the DVI output.

King Mook Mook