LED Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dawooad, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dawooad macrumors newbie

hi

i want to buy (LED Cinema Displays) :D so i want to use it with my pc Microsoft Windows ;) . and i have ati hd6970 card cross fire :D . so can it work with led Cinema. :confused::confused:

2. Ashok0 macrumors regular

The Apple LED Cinema Display 27" from 2010 (with DisplayPort) is 100% compatible with the AMD Radeon 6970. The 2011 model (with Thunderbolt) will not work.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

There's no buttons or on-screen controls for the LED Cinema Display, all settings have to be made via software (brightness, contrast adjustment and so on). Apple does not supply any native windows utility for this, only one for use with Bootcamp, which is used to run Windows on a Mac computer.

It's not possible to install Bootcamp on a non-Apple computer, so you either have to live with not having any adjustments for your display, or you will have to jump through some hoops to extract the relevant exe from the software installer and manually put that on your PC's harddrive. Instructions on how to do this is available in some other thread I saw here a couple weeks ago...

It's not terribly complicated if you just have the right instructions, but it's more work than just buying a regular monitor and plugging that into your PC. This really is an Apple display, intended for Apple computers even though it does work on PCs too.

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

But using the LED Cinema Display is ridiculously easy on a PC. All you have to do is download AppleControlPanel.exe from this link: https://rs952dt.rapidshare.com/#!do...el.zip|479|R~B16CD34B51DF34E304E159A7A125CD3B

And simply run the file. With the OPs video card, it will be 100% fully functional on their PC. There really isn't any reason to NOT get it for a PC, especially if the OP actually wants a glossy 27" IPS display (the only PC equivalent is the Hazro HZ27A which is not for sale outside of Europe).

5. pommack macrumors newbie

Is it 100% sure that the thunderbolt display is not compatible whit the mini display port?

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes.

7. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

So that means I am screwed? I mean, I have a mid 2010 macbook pro and everything that Apple invents that uses thunderbolt wont work on my macbook which is only ONE year old?

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Bingo!
    Apple are continuing to sell the old 27" display for the time being, but this is another point in Apple's history where backwards compatibility doesn't exist - it's stick with the old, or get the new.

To use Thunderbolt, you need a new Mac.

9. skyline r34, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

It is there. Just a little further down. I just looked at it today, and my local Apple Store had a few left in stock. I bought it today to use with my 15" 2010 MBP that does not have a thunderbolt port, so therefore, can't run the new display.

11. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Apple online store have the 27-inch LED Cinema display shipping times slips to 5-7days my guess Apple is going to discontinue the 27-inch LED Cinema and just sale the thunderbolt

12. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Yes it means you are totally screwed forever and ever. From buying an Apple 27 inch with TB. The horror.

13. NedMacPro macrumors newbie

XFX R7850 with LED Cinema Display?

Is this link still active?