LED Cinema Extension Cable

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ryan P, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Ryan P, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

Ryan P macrumors regular

I recently got a Kanex 15' Mini DisplayPort/USB extension cable. I was a little nervous about the length but as I really needed about 11' I went with that over the 10' one.

Well I do like the length but I might end up making do with the 10' one due to some "interesting" issues. The video that I was actually worried about has no issues at all, but the USB is quite a bit flakey at 15'. I've had to very carefully separate it so it is not running next to any power cables. I've also learned that the LED Cinema sends it's Brightness controls over the USB port and this is the first to flake out. Brightness control over USB also tends to flake out more if there is other traffic over USB such as using playing Music on the LED Cinema.

Not sure if there are some better cables coming to market that support audio over DisplayPort and might also fix this issue.I quite like my setup even if I have to jiggle cables every now and then to get my brightness control on my monitor to work lol, a little ghetto though!

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

3. Ryan P thread starter macrumors regular

well jiggling might have been a bad choice of words..I think what sometimes helps is that I can temporarily increase the space between the Kanex cable and monitor Power cable...I originally had bundled them together and that resulted in no signal at all...I thought the cable was broken for awhile.