LED Flash turning pictures smurf-like

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjared, Jun 25, 2010.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

Anyone else tried their LED flash out? it sucks. All of my images have a blue tent to them. In the dark it completely goes blue like below. It's a picture of some shelves in the dark from about 3-5 feet.

reduced by 1/3

Attached Files:

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

i just walked into a totally dark room and took a photo and didnt have that problem...

might be an issue with the camera on your phone?

that said, the cameras on these phones are really nothing more than a novelty. if you want to take any sort of a decent picture, especially when you need a flash, get a real camera.

4. DisposableHero macrumors member

take the plastic off the back thats covering flash and camera

5. Wailord macrumors 6502

Not to be rude, but have you taken the plastic film on the back off? My dad forgot (not the biggest tech guy... :p) and the flash basically turns all pictures blue so you can't see them.

Y'know, I think the quality of the camera is stunning. It's obviously not up there with the $600+ Nikons and such, but for a phone it can easily replace most point-and-shoots that people use today for their personal pics (as opposed for true photography). I don't know much about camera tech, but the pictures I've taken are incredible. :)

6. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

Still though, I want it to work at a party or something. I thought i should let people know to go test it out.

And no, they didn't put in a Blue LED (although that may be a cool mod one day:D)

7. caranddriver macrumors regular

The plastic on the back causes that. So if you do get a back protector make sure there is a flash cutout.

8. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

yes, plastic is off.

wait wait... plastic on case...

i feel really dumb.

9. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

Happens to me too but like the others said I think it's because I left the plastic until my invisible shield comes.

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Stop using the flash. Any good photographer knows only to use it when absolutely necessary. I never use flash, period.

12. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

First off, I don't plan on being a serious photographer with the iphone.

I go to parties, it is sometimes dimly lit, I take pictures at said parties and refuse to carry a camera and look like a tool.

13. purd002 macrumors member

Wrong. We just know how to control it.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you know any good photographers? You should chat with one sometime and ask them to teach you some things.

A flash is downright critical for many, many good shots. I wouldn't have gotten this without one:

[​IMG]

15. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I know plenty of good photographers and none of them use flash. I've gotten amazing results, even in night, with zero flash, using a DSLR.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I didn't say you can't get good shots. Of course you'll get good shots without a flash. I take a ton of those too.

I'm just saying I'll get more good shots than you and your friends will. That's all.

If you're going to ignore a tool, you won't be able to do as many things as someone who does use that tool. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it is.

17. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

No offense, but I call BS on that statement. :eek: Unless, of course, those you know are of a bent that seek to only photograph in natural light for the challenge or a philosophical reason (like those that refuse to use any editing software, or DSLR's, or print film, or ....). But refusing to use a flash is not a requirement or hallmark of a "good photographer".

18. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

+1

19. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

Seriously adorable. :D

OP, I did the same thing. Live and learn.... :)

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I agree. I know quite a few pro's as well as hobbyists and they ALL use a flash. Outdoors, indoors doesn't matter, they all say flash and lighting is essential for good photo's.

Outdoors especially as it can help eliminate shadows especially in face. Then again, it depends on the type of photo your going for. But DynaFXD said it best "refusing to use a flash is not a requirement or hallmark of a "good photographer" and I will piggy back on that by saying knowing when and when not to use a flash is what makes a big difference but still doesn't make one a good photographer.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's also seriously 1 out of 75 shots. She does not stop moving. That was one perfect nano-second where it LOOKS like she's being peaceful.

But trust me...it's just an illusion! :D

22. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Well tell the good photographers you know that if they utilize a flash when appropriate, such as fill flash, they will get exposures missed due to ignorance of its use. See example links below.

By the way, it's not wise to make statements of expertise based on knowing "experts".

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-flash.htm

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-flash-2.htm

23. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Great picture. Great background. Cute kid.

24. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Wait. Are we talking about the HTML5 issue again?

25. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

HAHA... I was so taken back by the flash discussion, I forgot to tell you how awesome that pic is, and how cute your daughter is. Well done. :D