LED LCD Cinema Display or older Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by obelix, Oct 15, 2008.

1. obelix macrumors member

Well I was hoping someone would have asked this question already but I think I need to get a new LCD. Right now I've got a Dell 2408WFP and it's driving me crazy. The colours are all off. I bought a Spyder 3 Elite to calibrate it and although it's much closer I still feel it's off and the shadows are terrible.

I'm a graphic designer by trade and so colour on my LCD is very important to me. I took a look at both the Apple Cinema displays (old and new) and noticed that the new LED LCD's seem to have substancially better specs.

New:
    http://www.apple.com/ca/displays/specs.html

Old:
    http://www.apple.com/ca/displays/cinema/specs.html

The contrast ratio is the biggest difference with 1000:1 on the new one and 700:1 on the old one.

I'm looking at the 24" (new) or 23" (old).

Thoughts? Also how big a deal does everyone think the glossy background is on the new LED LCD's? Are there any designers who have a glossy background and find it doesn't bother them?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The new ones look pretty nice. If it were me, the deciding factor would be the glossy vs. matte screen. I like the glossy screen, but I'm not a designer.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I wouldn't get either, there are better choices around. The HP LP2475w can be had for $600 US and when properly calibrated is quite good, and at the other end you can get the NEC LCD2490WUXi for just over $1000 US.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm is a review of the HP

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just to point out that this new display hasn't replaced the old ones, it accompanies them.

I would chose the old for any kind of graphics because of the matte display.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm a graphic designer and I like glossy screens.

6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'm wondering if the new LED screens are TN panels

7. obelix thread starter macrumors member

What is it that you like about the gloss? I must say I find the reflections quite distracting but perhaps you don't notice it over time.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'd go for the 23". Matte, no thick black bezel, and it has a DVI which is still the default digital computer monitor connector.

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

They won't be TN panels because the viewing angels are 178° horizontal; 178° vertical which are the same as the other Cinema Displays.

10. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

11. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Don't get the gloss. It has over saturated and inaccurate colors. Plus the reflection is unbearable at times.