LED LCD White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamse, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jamse macrumors newbie

Hey does anyone think they will switch out the CCFL LCD with an LED LCD anytime soon?

or know of any user mods to replace the lcd with a led lcd? on the new macbook.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

they're gonna discontinue the white macbook pretty soon im sure. so i wouldnt hold my breath for any updates.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They just updated the whitebook, so I don't think it will be discontinue it soon

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

my point is, if they were gonna put an led backlight in the whitebook, they would have done it. they kept the whitebook around just so they still have a cheap laptop, for now. furthermore, if they were to do that it wouldnt cost $999 anymore. they have to give people a reason to go for the aluminum.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Even though we saw that update today I don't think we'll keep seeing it for much longer. It just costs Apple production costs for an old product. Who would want to buy an older model anyways?

6. jamse thread starter macrumors newbie

obviously there is a demand... since im going to buy one.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Apple is in this to make money, if production costs were so high on that MacBook Apple would not update it. it is not going to be discontinued anytime soon. The white MacBook is perfect for the price. And its not an older model! its brand new!

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

of course there will always be a few people who buy them, but most people going to buy a new macbook now arent going for the white one because it's now outdated. its like this, in a few years the aluminum will still be here and the white one won't. so you may as well get the newer computer that's a bit more futureproof if you're already in the process of getting a new computer. also in this case, the new ones are superior

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

It IS an older model. It has just been updated. I would call the aluminum MB 'brand new' but not the whitebook.
    They will most likely continue selling the whitebook until they see more aluminum MacBook's are being sold. They will discontinue it when it costs more to produce then profit received. Its a business.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

well considering the fact that that plastic case is now 3 years old, and looks almost exactly the same as the ibooks, just more rectangular, its old.

11. jamse thread starter macrumors newbie

see this is speculation.. you dont know for sure, there might be a high probability, but that is not the same as knowing what apple is going to do in the future. if they are having increased polycarbon macbook sales, they wont discontinue it. that's apple being rational.

also, what is this nonsense about being future proof.. as of now polycarbon macbooks have the same c2d cpu, and 9400m video card, both have nvidia chipests (granted the polycarbon doesnt support ddr3, but theres no real performance advantage yet. ddr2-800 will perform as well as ddr3-1066), chicklet keyboard, lets see thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but the main thing you get with the unibody macbook are... led lcd, multitouch pad, maybe a better webcam, and better battery. these are just commodity enhancements not really affecting the "futureproffness" of the white macbook.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136214/2008/10/macbookbenchmarks.html

if you look at the chart the last white macbook 2.1ghz with the intel chipset was pretty much neck and neck with the unibody 2ghz macbook. with the updated insides and having the same gpu, the white should outperform the unibody (i havnt taken in account of the .1ghz difference though from the intel chipset vs nvidia chipset white macbook), the things that the white macbook does worse than the unibody macbook are suites, and frame rates, which should be a lot better with the new chipset and gpu.

before you start talking out of your ass do some research... its kinda annoying hearing fan boy rabble.

notes:
    http://www.breakitdownblog.com/ddr2-800-vs-ddr3-1333-does-speed-matter/
    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2989&p=1

side note:
    also, if it wasnt so economical for me to buy a macbook, i would buy a thinkpad x200s (maybe x200, but id rather have the led backlighting). the price of my configuration of a x200s is $1700 ($1350 for a x200) vs the macbook at $949 w/ student discount (my real price for the polycarbon macbook is only $459, correspondingly $749 for the unibody), weighing it out the led lcd, and multi touch (these are the main things i want though) are not worth the 250 extra bones. I WANT IT, but I cant justify the extra cost. If only I could make my cake and eat it too... multi touch led lcd polycarbon macbook.. oh sweet jesus.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Umm...ok before you start getting all defensive and bitchy on me over here, you should first know that I'm by no means a fanboy and if you read my previous posts you can clearly see that. Moving on, you clearly haven't noticed that the new macbook is a complete redesign of the old white one which has been around for 3 years. The commodity features you listed aren't commodity, they're major updates. You also failed to mention the complete case redesign, apple usually likes to keep cases the same for the most part and then overhaul. Next, the ddr3 is a major difference, that's why the new MacBooks are a bit faster than the white ones with the same processor speed. So before you accuse others of talking out of their asses you need to look what you just posted, because it's plain stupid. So just because you can't or choose not to afford the new ones, doesn't mean they're not a superior updated version of the whitebook

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Pretty much every post is either speculation, crap, garbage, fantasy, or fanboy babble.

Here are the facts:

Polycarbonate MacBook - old design or white plastic with greyish/white colored top cases. CCFL backlighting, older memory design (DDR2 is WAY SLOWER than DDR3), and older hard drive/memory slot designs.

Aluminum MacBOok - fresh design, with unibody structure, multi touch, LED backlighting, black keys with optional backlight, glass screen, newer LCD panels, newer hard drive/memory slot designs, DDR3 (which is MUCH FASTER than DDR2)

SO quit this debate. I believe (my personal opinion/speculation) that upgrading OLDER designs with new tech will not continue for very long. Updating NEW designs/architectures with new tech can yield very profitable results. Would you upgrade a 2000 Toyota Camry or the 2008 version? That is an accurate representation of the age of the designs.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

2006 - MacBook Redesign
    2008 - Unibody

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Personally, I don't like the White MacBook much.
    I really think they should get rid of it...