LED Lighting for dorm room?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Oct 8, 2010.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'm looking to make my college dorm room a bit more inviting by adding some LED lighting.

I've already looked at some places online, such as http://www.ledlightingkit.com/order.html

Are there any other, cheaper places out there that offer similar products?

Thank you!

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

The Ikea Dioders are pretty cool.... but check your school's policies. I just had mine ripped down from my ceiling and confiscated because they're "a fire hazard" even though they make literally no heat.

3. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

<shameless plug>

There are some good tips for LED lighting here and here. I use the IKEA dioders for backlighting on my TV - it's nice for ambient light but gives a neat effect during movies.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't know if they are any cheaper than what you are looking at, but I've used Elemental LED a few times. They have a huge assortment of stuff at fairly low prices. Their website changed recently, and it's harder to navigate now, but still good stuff.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wow, they actually inspected your dorm room? I never had a school official of any sort in my room until move-out when they inspected the damage. Even my RA never came in the room.

6. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Fire hazard? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Well, close :p

But seriously, it really just depends on what you're wanting to do.

• Full ambient light coverage: Rope lighting. It's super cheap and you can get it at most stores around the holiday season
    • Colored, subtle lighting effect: LED dioders from IKEA (strips or pucks - again, your perogative), or LED strips from elsewhere
    • Lamp light: Check out the LED dioding "bulbs" for floorstanding lamps. They do the exact same thing as the dioders from IKEA and come with a remote, but the difference is that you plug them into a light socket. That'd be pretty cool. They're kinda pricey though. Look into them though.

Just some ideas. In fact, I'm going to look now to see if I can find any deals on an LED lamp module. That would be pretty sweet for my dorm room :D

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My school, MTSU, inspected the dorm rooms yearly (could've been every semester though ... don't remember). The way my roommate and I got away with drilling into the cinderblock walls to anchor my bunk was to become friends with the maintenance guy. He even gave is a 1/4" drill and bit to do the job. Mike, I miss you!

8. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

They inspect ours once per year.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My college inspected our rooms (briefly) once per term just to make sure you didn't have like, a propane heater or lots of candles or whatever. I think it had to do with the school's liability insurance and the local fire code.

10. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

11. EvolutionXGSR macrumors member

There you go, I fixed it.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hahaha—campus safety would do the fire inspections on the fraternities, some brothers would hide plants in plain sight by putting little ID stakes in the pots, apparently it worked.