LED Monitors - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VaatiKaiba, Mar 23, 2010.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I'm buying a monitor soon, and have found a few LCD ones that I like. However, I have also found some LED ones which are more expensive, and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra €50-ish on an LED display. I'm going to be mainly using it for movies and productivity stuff (iWork, web, email, etc).

Also, would anyone have any recommendations (LCD or LED) for 20" - 24", around €250 - €300 ($350 - $400)?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's just LED backlight, not OLED screen so IMO not really worth it. You should go to store and compare them in real life and then decide.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it's worth it, but it's a personal choice. If you're not willing to spend the extra money on an LED display then don't.

4. bsblvnv macrumors regular

I use this one at work I really like it.

5. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Most monitors are LCD. The backlights are either LED or fluorescent. LED backlights use less energy and are supposed to last longer. I have had fluorescent backlights die on displays before. I definitely think it is worth it for a laptop. Personally I also prefer to go with LED backlights on stand alone monitors as well.