Led monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris7777, Jan 27, 2009.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I finally got to go to the apple store, and It showed me something, I am just not sure what you call it.

I was pulling up some of my artwork from a website, and noticed that if I looked at the monitor from an angle, (45% or so) that if the paper was beginning to yellow, it would make the whole image(or at least an unmanipulated portion of it) show up with a brown tint.

it was almost as if the momitor had the different shades on different layers.

Anyway I dont know if this is a good or bad thing, but I noticed it did not occur on a regular macbook, but it did on the imacs, and macbook pros.

Is there a name for this sort of thing, and is it a good thing for artwork?
    Or should I look at different monitors

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Thats normal when dealing with PVA and TN panel lcds. Its not a "good" thing but its not a defect either. S-IPS panels have very wide horizontal and vertical viewing angles and dont really do that.

In my experience it seems that TN panels dont do the yellow effect as much as PVA panels do even though TN is greatly inferior. TN's mostly exhibit horrible verticle viewing angles where the picture polarizes in extreme amounts as you move your head up and down, thats a lot worse than a little yellow. I dont know if the MBP uses PVA or TN but the regular macbooks use TN which might explain why they dont do the yellowing. The 20" imac uses TN and the 24" imac uses PVA, so it will depend on which size you were looking at.

PVA is fine for artwork since it doesnt do the yellowness unless you move your head to weird angles. TN on the otherhand polarizes the image regardless of where your head is, so its not good for art since it wreaks havoc on dark darks and light lights.