Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Hey guys. I know that that latest iOS betas had LED notification light settings in them. Does the IP4s have a dedicated light or is it just the camera light? Thanks!:)

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London
thanks for clearing that up (about it being in the ios5 beta), I was beginning to think it was only a jailbroken thing

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Hey guys. I know that that latest iOS betas had LED notification light settings in them. Does the IP4s have a dedicated light or is it just the camera light? Thanks!:)

I loaded ios5 GM last night (i'm not a dev). I have not come across this option. Assume its in settings somewhere??

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
It uses the camera flash and it blinks any time you get a call, text, push notification, etc.

Installed iOS 5 on my iP4 yesterday and it works great.

calviin

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I don't have an iPhone 4 so I can't test this or anything. But since it is an LED light, it's output should be controllable. Just depends on if Apple enables it. If not, it'll be near useless if it's as bright as the flash/video light.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
I know that the beta enables a notification light on the back I was just wondering if there's one on the front as well on the 4S ala android.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
SO when its flashing its using full flash strength?? that could get irritating being so bright

That's the whole point. If someone is hearing impaired they can leave their iPhone face down and not miss when a notification happens.

It's actually a great feature; I plan on turning it on myself because I'm often in my home office with music blaring loud enough that I can't hear the phone. The blinking I'll notice immediately!

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
LED notification - brilliant idea, but seems useless since the flash is on the back of the phone. This makes no sense to me. Who sets their phone down on it's face? This defeats the purpose of an LED light, considering that most people tend to look at the front of their phone for an LED notification. Not the back! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
LED notification - brilliant idea, but pretty useless since the flash is on the back of the phone. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Who sets their phone down on it's face? Am I missing something obvious here? This defeats the purpose of an LED light, considering that most people tend to look at the front of their phone for an LED notification. Not the back! :rolleyes:

They should've just left this whole idea alone if they couldn't execute it the right way. Disappointing.

The screen turns on when there is a call or notification, so when the phone is face up the whole screen is visible. That said, I do miss the notification and service LEDs on my old Sony-Ericsson phones.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Who sets their phone down on it's face? Am I missing something obvious here?

Yes. Anyone who needs/wants to see the LED flash, whether it's by choice or necessity. Your answer has been debunked in many other threads and folks that need to see the LED have found it insensitive.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Why would apple bother using the led flash on the back.

Who places their phone with the screen facing down?

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
yes. Anyone who needs/wants to see the led flash, whether it's by choice or necessity. Your answer has been debunked in many other threads and folks that need to see the led have found it insensitive.

[/color]
why would apple bother using the led flash on the back.

----------

why would apple bother using the led flash on the back.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
LED notification - brilliant idea, but pretty useless since the flash is on the back of the phone. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Who sets their phone down on it's face? Am I missing something obvious here? This defeats the purpose of an LED light, considering that most people tend to look at the front of their phone for an LED notification. Not the back! :rolleyes:

They should've just left this whole idea alone if they couldn't execute it the right way. Disappointing.

They did leave the idea alone, that's why it's in the Accessibility settings and not advertised as a new feature . If your not hearing impaired, don't complain.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Why would apple bother using the led flash on the back.

I place my phone screen down because I don't want nosy nellies around me looking at my texts/notification. I could toggle the message preview off, but the LED notification will eliminate that cruddy option!

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
They did leave the idea alone, that's why it's in the Accessibility settings and not advertised as a new feature . If your not hearing impaired, don't complain.

I didn't know this, my apologies.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I didn't know this, my apologies. Never meant any offense to our hearing impaired folks. Joke is on me :rolleyes:

If Apple decided to implement notifications, the LED would not light up as a call is coming in but rather after a missed call, voicemail, text or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.