LED notification with Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by regginkiller3, Aug 8, 2010.

1. regginkiller3 macrumors newbie

I've seen some of my friend's phones, and they have LED notification, which blinks every few seconds when they get a text, e-mail, miss call or anything of that sort. Is it possible to do that with the iPhone 4 with the LED on the back?

2. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Sure it would be possible, but it'd be a waste of battery and itd be annoyingly bright.

3. nateharr macrumors 6502

I agree about the brightness, but the iPhone's LED utilizes very little battery life.

To me it wouldn't be very useful because the iPhone would have to laying on it's screen to be noticeable. (I NEVER do this. Too afraid of any kind of scratches.)

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

The LED uses about 1% of the battery for every minute its on. That means if you left it on for an hour you'd be at 40% from a full charge

And about brightness, can't it change the brightness? When taking a picture, the flash is brighter then a video

5. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Is it even possible to dim a LED? I thought they were on/off only

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

So why do I have a keychain with an LED light and a watch battery that is still kicking just fine?

7. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Because your keychain doesn't power a 3.5" screen, 3G and wifi antennas,

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Wow, why don't you read the thread? It's about powering the LED light, not the entire phone. If what he said was true, powering the LED light would take 3x as much power than the 3G radio - that's just silly.

9. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

so unless you're looking at the BACK of the phone often throughout the day, this is useless. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't spend a lot of time looking at the back of the phone. I will confess I wouldn't terribly mind a front LED (mostly so we know when the front camera is on- like on a mbp) but I'm fine without it for now. I'm sure they will incorporate this one day.

The battery is under enough stress, I wouldn't consider this a worthwhile feature. It would take more time to flip the phone around then to simply tap the lock button to check your screen real quick.

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's definitely possible. Apple has allowed flashlight apps into the AppStore that make use of the LED flash, so it shouldn't be too hard for someone to code an app that makes it blink for notifications.

I do like the LED notifications on BlackBerrys. It definitely comes in handy.

I wouldn't say it's useless. One of the main uses of the LED is to you know you've received a notification when you aren't looking/using your phone. Not to mention, you wouldn't really want to be gazing at the flash when it goes off. That thing is bright. You'd have to get used to placing the phone down, face first, so you would see the notification. And with the back facing out in your pocket. You can definitely see the flash that way pretty well, though. Give it a try, it lights your pants up like a Xmas tree.

I think your point about battery life is moot. Every feature on a phone is a compromise between functionality and power consumption. That's why on phones like a blackberry, the LED is optional, as I'm sure it would be on the iPhone.

I, however, tend to doubt Apple will ever put an LED notifier on the iPhone. Just my opinion though.

12. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I agree! - An LED on the front would definitely be used by myself. It would be nice to see the notification without having to press the home button. Whether Apple ever put one on the phone is another matter! I think the LED on a macbook is needed as you cannot always tell if the camera is in use (minimised apps etc). The iPhone should only use the camera when the app is in use I think?

I agree & think using the back LED is a bit of a non starter. Who really wants to lay their phone down on its front screen just to maybe see a LED notification?