Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hi!

I have an order placed online for a 17" MBP w/ LED GLOSSY for $2958 after educational discount plus tax. It won't arrive til March 25th.

If I purchase from the Apple Store in New Hampshire (nearby me), I can get a 17" MBP w/ GLOSSY for only $2599 after education discount because there is no tax and no wait time.

Do you think the LED High Resolution Glossy Screen is worth the $360 price difference and 25 day wait time? I heard it only gives you 30 mins more battery, and I will 'usually' have my MBP plugged in. Will I see significant differences in the screen colors? And how long does it take for the current non-LED screen to brighten to full capacity?

I plan to keep this laptop for no more than 2 years, and possibly upgrade it in the next year if there is a case redesign (if its worthwhile, otherwise I won't).

Thanks!

AndyFL

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
IMO, not worth waiting. That's just me....your laptop though :) Good luck!

patp77

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
From what I understand, the main advantages from LED:

-Screen will not lose brightness over time so what you see is what you get until the screen fails altogether
-Should have better battery life since LED uses less power to run from what I hear

Disadvantages:

-seems to be some quality control issues with the 15" screens. This might trickle over to the 17" or it might be that the 17" models will actually be better since there won't be as much of a demand (am I wrong?) compared to 15" LED screens.

Based on that, I think I'd still wait for the new laptop with LED but keep an eye on the quality of the screen when you receive it.

ibinco

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
Whats it mean to have a 1920 x 1200 resolution versus the 1600 one? I don't understand the difference.

I dont mean to be rude but if you dont even know the difference in resolutions maybe you shouldnt be buying such a machine @ all. Seems to me like a Macbook will do for you.

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
My MB Air w/LED is my first notebook with LED. I can't go back to a non-LED display!

I ordered my 15" MBP w/LED...

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
LED also comes with a 1920x1200 resolution. Worth it for me, that's why I'm waiting. ;)

The previous non LED version also has the 1920 x 1200 HD screen option. The 15" LED screen has had its share of problems - the "yellowing" lower quarter of the screen being the most prominent - my 15" CCFL screen has been perfect - very accurate, bright, etc. LED technology is clearly here but not yet refined.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I'm planning on buying the lowest MBP from my school bookstore once they get them in stock. Is it an LED backlit display too? are LEDs only available BTO?

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Hi!

I have an order placed online for a 17" MBP w/ LED GLOSSY for $2958 after educational discount plus tax. It won't arrive til March 25th.

If I purchase from the Apple Store in New Hampshire (nearby me), I can get a 17" MBP w/ GLOSSY for only $2599 after education discount because there is no tax and no wait time.

Do you think the LED High Resolution Glossy Screen is worth the $360 price difference and 25 day wait time? I heard it only gives you 30 mins more battery, and I will 'usually' have my MBP plugged in. Will I see significant differences in the screen colors? And how long does it take for the current non-LED screen to brighten to full capacity?

I plan to keep this laptop for no more than 2 years, and possibly upgrade it in the next year if there is a case redesign (if its worthwhile, otherwise I won't).

Thanks!

WAIT

The LED hi-res screen will be a vast improvement. LEDs offer instant full brightness and don't need to "warm up" to full brightness for a bit. LEDs also last longer, whereas the other screen will be noticably dimmer after even just a year (trust me, I've seen side by side comparisons of the 15" LED vs. non-LED). Then there's the fact that LEDs are brighter and have better colors. Some people will say that there is a yellowing issue with some, but that has only been the case with the 15" and there is no reason to believe it applies to the 17" LEDs as they are a completely different panel. Further, that problem is made to look a lot more common when you look at an online forum like macrumors, because only the people with problems post. The screen resolution also allows you to watch full 1080p HD movies on your laptop screen, future proofing it for online HD downloads. That and it is much crisper. Trust me here: WAIT. Patience is a virtue.

Peace,

Ado

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm planning on buying the lowest MBP from my school bookstore once they get them in stock. Is it an LED backlit display too? are LEDs only available BTO?

LED displays are on all of the current (2008 version) 15" MBPs and are BTO for the 17", but must be paired with the 1920x1200 resolution. LEDs are also on all of the last-gen 15" MBPs (released in 2007). If you get a 15" with a 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, or 2.6 GHz processor, then it has an LED backlight.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
I would go for the high resolution display if I'd bought the 17 Inch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.