LED screen or g. card??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by M1keyb77, Mar 9, 2013.

1. M1keyb77 macrumors member

Hi guys basically bought a 2008 uniboday Macbook off ebay with a "faulty screen" well screen not working. First thought if i need to buy a new led screen not a problem.
    After i received the item it seems a little more to it than a screen not working.
    Im unsure which way to go, so looking for a little bit of advice.
    Here are a couple of pics of whats happening. Oh also if you move the lid the picture comes and goes as seen in the pics.
    Oh just so you know if i use my mini dvi to hdmi the display is perfect on my tv.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help guys.

2. GlassOgnion macrumors member

So your graphic card seems OK. It could be the LVDS cable or the LED screen but to check it out you have to first remove the glued panel glass in front of the screen, not an easy job. My advice would be to buy a complete assembly and just swap it.

3. M1keyb77 thread starter macrumors member

Right i now have a slight update. Friend of mine somehow had a brand new LED screen at his house. So i took the bottom off the macbook, plugged his screen in and hey presto it worked, for the first time i saw a decent picture on a screen other than my tv.
    Took it all home watched a few videos on how to do things, did it all fired the macbook up and now for some reason i just hace a bright white screen. Plugged back into external tv all ok. Even put my old led screen back in and that just shows as a bright white display and nothing else. Is there something ive done wrong or has something else just happened???
    Really reall need some help. Oh by the way im posting from the macbook plugged into my tv so its still working bar the normal screen!!!

4. GlassOgnion macrumors member

Did you disconnect the battery before installing the display ? If not there could be a short in the LVDS socket that toasted an IC on the logic board.

5. M1keyb77 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I did do, I had to totally remove the screen to replace it. But yeah battery was removed each time I played with it.
    Starting to get frustrating now :(

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Can you provide the following?

a) The 820-**** number of your motherboard. 820-2530, 820-2879, 820-2936, etc.

b) A photo near the LVDS connector without the cable plugged in.

7. M1keyb77 thread starter macrumors member

Hi there I will have to do that in a couple of days, MacBook is built up at the moment and I had an operation yesterday so not really in any fit state yet.