LED tape lighting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jeyf, May 27, 2017.

1. jeyf macrumors 6502

i am re doing the bathrooms in an oider house:
    thinking to flush mount LED lighting as an aluminum channel with a clear or diffused lens in the ceiling when installing new ceiling dry wall. Seems the channel/lense assembly and flex or rigid LED is Amazon available.
    Has anyone done this?

starting to see rolls of 12vdc LED strip lighting, residential over head lighting, at the local discount hardware stores; Home Depot and Lowes. Along with the rolls of LED lighting seems appearance of aluminum channel assembly with a clear or diffused lens. Some LED strips might be more rigid but quite bright (1000 lumen per foot). Reference; a 60 watt incandescent bulb was like 450 lumen.

As these retailers struggle with the innovation i cant help to think these same adhesive backed strips have found their way into more standard lighting fixtures like the old 40W florescent tube fixture or the 12" round bedroom ceiling light.

They lied about the life time of the compact fluorescent lamp, CFL as their run time is somewhat limited. Expect LED lighting to be the same.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I am curious how you're planning to get 12VDC power up to the overhead lighting and switch it.

3. jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502

i am thinking to buy a bathroom ceiling exhaust fan with a built in light. Replace he light fixture part with a LED driver brick. Run the 12VDC wires where ever.