LED TV connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jogl, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jogl macrumors member

Hi all - I'm having a few problems connecting my macbook pro to a TV.

I've got a samsung LED which has HDMI and VGA input. When i connect my laptop it doesn't show on the screen, or in the displays on the macbook.

As i only have a display port to DVI adaptor, i've tried;

Displayport/DVI --> DVI to VGA converter & VGA Lead
    Displayport/DVI --> DVI to HDMI lead

neither seem to produce an image. Connecting a PC laptop VGA --> VGA works fine. So...is it my connection or something i'm doing wrong?

Just as one more troubleshooting point - connecting a DVI monitor works fine.

any info would be great. Cheers!

2. simsaladimbamba

Too many adapters.
    Either use an MDP > VGA adapter or MDP > HDMI adapter.
    from

3. jogl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer although it was the obvious one!

Is there any way of making the current setup work so I dont have to spend another £20 on an adaptor?

4. simsaladimbamba

Obviously not. Maybe you can find a cheaper MDP > HDMI or MDP > VGA adapter via eBay.

5. jogl thread starter macrumors member

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

an adapter is an adapter no secret riddle to making them work, if your current adapter does not work you obviously need a different one

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

this one is only $5.70USD not sure what it would be with shipping to europe but there must be a european distributor that you can find a similar price

if you need to connect to your external display/tv than its really not much money, if your intention was to only use it once than i see your point