Left 4 Dead - Video problems on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by umagrama, Nov 9, 2009.

1. umagrama macrumors newbie

Hi!

I just got the game Left 4 Dead and am having problems with my video. The game loads quickly, everything is alright until I start a campaign. The audio sounds fine and the environment of the game seems to be okay too. But I can't see no characters, no zombies, the helicopters that flies at the beginning when playing single players don't appear either. I can't see nothing but the ground, buildings and staircase. Not even my gun or info that may appear on the screen that i've never seen. but i see shadows of a couple people.
    Also, while moving around there are glitches that appear depending where I stand and look at.

I tried changing the video settings (resolution, ratio and other things that I've never seen before) and the game crashes or closes itself. Under the advanced setting there are other options that I played around with and nothing came out of it.

Any one got any idea of what's going on? I really wanna play!!!

Here's my system:

MBP
    Processor: 2.53 GHz Inter Core 2 Dua
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    VRAM 256MB

I think that covers it... let me know if i missed some info.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is this under Bootcamp or what? Because if it isn't; use Bootcamp. If it is; try the Steam support forum, reinstalling/updating drivers, verify integrity of download.

3. umagrama thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running it on the Mac OSX. What could i possibly update? I got the latest OSX and been updating my system regularly.

?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, just update if you're running it under Bootcamp. Apple don't like to keep on top of video card driver updates, they are constantly updated on Windows though.

Does it even work under OSX? Wouldn't you need Steam running (as it connects to the Steam master server to verify it isn't a pirated game).

5. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

how are you running l4d by?

im running via crossover games on my late 08 mbp, window mode (not full screen). it works beautifully :D:D:D

only caveats is that i dumbed down the graphics to low but to be honest you have no time to see the zombies faces as you blow them off :)

6. umagrama thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope :(

it doesn't work in the window mode either, it gets worse with horizontal glitches... :((((

So frustrating...

7. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

8. umagrama thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how to check that. How do I find that out? I got the game, installed it and am having problems.

Thanks man.

9. seb.nkl macrumors newbie

hi I got EXACTLY the same problem do you know how to fix this :S ???

10. Mumstalker macrumors member

i believe you are using an unofficial cyder port, you've gotta change the memory pool to LOW in the game settings, that will do the trick. It's a bug, at least in one particular cyder wrapper, with Nvidia cards

11. seb.nkl macrumors newbie

omg this fixed the issue thx thx thx this was so frustrating you really helped me out!!

Cheers.

12. umagrama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It did solve the problem! Uhuwww! Finally!

13. Mumstalker macrumors member

Glad to help you mate, :p

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm very confused...

Is there a Mac version of l4d? The OP doesn't know if they are using Crossover, VMWare, Parallels or Bootcamp!

Edit: Saw the point about the Cyder port. So I'm assuming that in this case it's not legal either. For shame! ;)

15. Mumstalker macrumors member

AFAIK if you buy the windows game you are able to download the wrapper and port it yourself copying the files from a windows install. If you don't own the game, then i doubt about the legality of that